55 Gallon Anemone tank questions.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 55 gallon tank was being used as the QT tank for the last several years till I switched it out for a 40 breader making it easier for me to do things in it. The wife and kids decided they want a Anemone/Clown harem tank. Here’s my thoughts.

Items I have :
HOB overflow
Reef Octopus 110 Skimmer
2 Bulb 48” T5 fixture
4 new ATI bulbs 2 blue plus 1 coral plus 1 purple plus
AI Sol Blue LED’s ( have 4 spares now will have 6 more when new Kessils arrive for my 240 )
2 Current USA e-flux 2150 gph wave powerheads
40 gallon refugium/sump
Kessil H380 light for refugium
Plenty of live rock as I’m guessing I have 100 lbs in my big tank as well as 300 lbs in the display
I have the BRS 7 stage RODI Pro Plus 200 gallon a day system

Items I’ll need:
Return pump
Substrate thinking Fiji pink
Salt mix thinking about trying either Fritz RPM blue box or Red Sea Blue bucket

I feel like I’m missing something.

I plan on resetting this up in the next week or so.
With all the live rock I have I’m thinking the cycle if there even is one will be done shortly with thoughts of starting to stock it in spring.
Any input from those that have done this would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love bta on one side and carpets on the other but as much as they move I don’t see it happening so I’m thinking all BTA’s. As for Clowns im thinking 4 of each of the ORA Nakeds, Snowflakes, and Wyoming Whites so 12 ish in total.
And yes I knew I was missing some important items.
Heater, Tunze 3155 ATO, and maybe even a Apex EL.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not afraid of mixing the clowns?
I was thinking of setting up my RSM250 also as a BTA/clown harem species tank. All that I have read is that for the best chance of success is from one clutch but I was wondering if you did 2 clutches (say davinci and snowflakes), would aggression be less within the individual clutch since they have to look out for the others invading territory.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve been reading as long as they are all introduced at the same time and all real small they are going to be ok. It’s best to do small groups of each. I saw a video saying if say you did 4 of one kind 2 of another kind and 1 of a third kind that the single one would get picked on as we was different then everyone else. I think that cake from the BRSTV one but don’t recall honestly. My lfs told me the same thing though. My lfs said when it comes to stocking time he will order the ones I want all super small to allow them to grow together which should reduce aggression.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the BRSTV clown harem tank, one clown from a clutch of 30 had an orange face and was picked on relentlessly so he was pulled out of the tank. At the end of the series when they shut the tank down after 4.5 years, Ryan stated that the numbers need to be no less than 20, no more than 40 and if you mix clowns, he felt that the success rate falls by 50%.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back