55 gallon reef re-entry

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with black or white on the stand/hood, we did one with stain and I like the solid color better, personally!

Canopy looks good!

Here's our 55 with solid white stand, for reference (and hood would be also, but I'm adding some light shades first). Black always looks clean also.

20230226_165747.jpg

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with black or white on the stand/hood, we did one with stain and I like the solid color better, personally!

Canopy looks good!

Here's our 55 with solid white stand, for reference (and hood would be also, but I'm adding some light shades first). Black always looks clean also.

20230226_165747.jpg
How many pounds of rock do you have and what kind of lights are those?

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Canopy looks good!

20230226_165747.jpg
Thanks very much, I think black as well. Your tank looks great

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the hood done, I am obviously not a craftsman but it is functional and looks ok.
I messed up the outer rim so it does not slide over the rim but no big deal.
For 40$ material it’s pretty great and I have a rack to hang the lights, even when I upgrade for coral 2C1DF816-D420-4086-8D3D-425A45AC3B36.jpeg

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm changing my living room 55 gallon from a planted (overgrown :p) freshwater to a reef. So it'll be nice to keep an eye on yours!

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So q tank woes and lack of patience accompanied by trusting the fish were quarantined and acclimated for 2+ weeks prior to shipping led me to adding my red head solarensis faerie wrasse to the tank, feeding well and less shy than the others.
Seems to have buddied up with the filefish.
If not too annoying, YouTube video of the wrasse and others

trying to dial in my skimmer, either barely produces any yuck bubbles or almost water.
It is an aquamax bullet-3
I am keeping the collection cup just above the water level and adjusting air flow. Seems to take hours before I see results from adjustments so hard to manage. The nice thing is overflow stays in the skimmer and not on the floor

having another mini cycle with increase in feeding, the Wrass and filefish eat a lot. No ammonia, but tiny nitrites and nitrates at 20- water change coming and getting the skimmer going better will help.
Going to set up my auto feeder to feed 2 x a day small amt of flake and pellet to make sure they get enough.

changed to the tun image.jpg auto top off ( found it unopened in my big tank stand- bonus!
I feel better with the safety of no overflow
The other was good and the brackets I ordered work for the tunze as well

Plan in 3-4 weeks will be to add a bristle tooth /kole tang to help with

Trying to follow my own advice of patience for corals, but want the tank stable for a few more months

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used this for aquarium top to prevent jumpers:
12Pcs Aquarium Fish Tank Divider Plastic Egg Crate Aquarium Filter Bottom Tray Grid Isolation Board Partition Net Pane Separator for Mixed Breeding Light Diffuser,15Pcs Sucker Clips Suction Cups,Black https://a.co/d/aWrokHh

668B0409-3F3C-4ED4-B943-3CE86FA34FE1.jpeg

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my feeder hooked up and programmed. The wrasse is a hungry one.
My nitrates are back up to 20, so a 20 gallon water change done like last week. Skimmer is pulling out a good cupful of sludge every 2 days.
adjusted the lights to get a little better color for a video.

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully not seeming annoying but I’m loving having a tank again.
Got some decent video of the filefish with full color, but it’s at a distance
Decided the last fish I will get are a lemon peel angel and dragonet . Decided against a tang as just too small a tank.

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More CUC added , has been a little at a time to avoid starving, but plenty of hair algae to eat now. :)
Pods are everywhere which is nice
Pulled my first handful of red gracillia from the hob fuge, not huge export but something.
Added a sotted sea hare,Eugene, whose job is algae eating, but really gorgeous. As most of the life here, from seahorsesavvy.com
I expect to start feeding nori soon as they are hungry
They send out pre quarantined/treated fish, and super great quality and communication.
Ignore the string from eugene

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back