55 to 100GL

Batiatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi every!. I just started my 55 last November. I bought one of those Topfin 55GL Kit. I have about 50 lbs of sand and 100lbs of rocks. I have some fishes, anemone and corals. I currently have a 4x54W T5. 2 white at 12K and 2 actinic. Last night I picked up a BlueOcean 100GL 49x23x24. It has a predrilled 1" bulkhead. This is my first predrilled tank. Should I get it drilled for a return? Where will I go for that and how big? Also I just bought 30lbs of non live sand for $10. Can I just mix that togethere with my live sand? How long do I have to wait to cycle? Right now im usig Instant Ocean but would like to switch to H2Ocean or Aquavitro. I can get the Aquavitro 220GL for $75. Also I would like to turn my 55GL into a sump. Can you guys lead me to the right direction

Thanks in Advance

Batiatus

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 is big for a sump unless you can put it in the basement or through a wall into garage or something?
the 100 is 49 long how long is the 55. mine is 48 so I am thinking how will you fit it below the 100 gal?

btw I am doing the same thing and so is someone else on this forum. 55 to 100-120 seems to be common upgrade LOL

kfennell

New Hobbyisy Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi every!. I just started my 55 last November. I bought one of those Topfin 55GL Kit. I have about 50 lbs of sand and 100lbs of rocks. I have some fishes, anemone and corals. I currently have a 4x54W T5. 2 white at 12K and 2 actinic. Last night I picked up a BlueOcean 100GL 49x23x24. It has a predrilled 1" bulkhead. This is my first predrilled tank. Should I get it drilled for a return?

I would get it drilled myself, but there is really no down side to running the return piping over the top of the tank, your local glass store should be able to drill it.

Where will I go for that and how big?

To the glass store and I guess no bigger then your drain.

Also I just bought 30lbs of non live sand for $10. Can I just mix that togethere with my live sand?

Yeah no problem mixing it.

How long do I have to wait to cycle?

if you are moving the rocks and sand over without any delay then you shouldn't have to cycle, many people will also tell you to throw out your old sand, I would make a judgement call based on how dirty it is, but if cash is tight you can re use it. If you get all new sand, then just use a cup of your old sand with it.

Right now im usig Instant Ocean but would like to switch to H2Ocean or Aquavitro. I can get the Aquavitro 220GL for $75.

Not that changing salt is bad, but why do you want to?

Also I would like to turn my 55GL into a sump. Can you guys lead me to the right direction
You can get the tank made into a sump pretty easy, I just have glass cut at the local store and silicone it in place to make baffles dividing the tank into three parts, the first for the inlet and the skimmer, the middle for a refugium and the last for the pump, this keeps the bubbles out of the pump and allows room for algae to grow. Use an over under over style baffle with ~1" spacing.

There is no such thing as too large of a sump, however you will have space issues with a 55g if you don't have a closet or something to hide it in.

OP
OP
B

Batiatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called one of the fish store and they can drill it for $20 but I need to sign a waiver.

As for the sump. I made a DIY stand 52"x" 23. The 55Gl fits perfectly inside the cabinet. as for the buffle.. any links?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

Batiatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my DIY stand

Attachments

• DSC04255.jpg
    DSC04255.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC04256.jpg
    DSC04256.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC04257.jpg
    DSC04257.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC04260.jpg
    DSC04260.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
B

Batiatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes one more thing, my tank came with a 1" bulkhead and thats all the tubing it came with. How do I plumb my overflow. Also if I do get my tank drill for the return, what else do I need to buy in order to plumb it for my return. As of right now I have a 540GPH pump from my 55. DO I need to get a bigger one?

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this exact thing! I upgraded to a 100 and used a 55gallon as a sump (though my 100 was 5' in length making it easier)

I would NOT drill for a return, I always prefer to have my return above the water level or very close to it, this way there is little to no chance of back siphoning. Even using the best check valves I found they were never 100%

OP
OP
B

Batiatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i decided not to get it drilled. But my other problem is that my tank only came with a bulk head for the sump. Any Idea how should I do the overflow? Just run a 1" pVC about 22" high?

Yes Ductape is really strong. Watch mythbusters lol

Hawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guessing that it is drilled on the bottom in a corner... make an over flow box with black acrylic so that you can skim the surface the 55 makes a great sump plenty of room for a filter sock skimmer fuge and return pump!

Back