OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is a work-in-progress view of how I imagine the fish room will look. Yes, I realize that I am mixing overhead views with side views, but I don't have time to draw all this stuff out in sketchup etc. The display tank will face the main family area.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.24.03 AM.png

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great project with alot of thought into it. Can't wait to see everything as it progresses

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could add the trough drain to my basement easily. I was looking over you projected consumption rates and only noticed four MP40s; are you planning on anything else for circulation that I missed (four wont be close to enough)?

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wish I could add the trough drain to my basement easily. I was looking over you projected consumption rates and only noticed four MP40s; are you planning on anything else for circulation that I missed (four wont be close to enough)?

You’re right, four may not be enough on a 500!

On my 90, I have two that I have to dial back to 30-40% so by my math if I had five, that should work. If they are evenly spaced on the back wall, then each one has a width of 24” to push and a length of 34” (back to front of tank) - and I think that is reasonable. Am I still of the mark with my thinking?

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On my 90, I have two that I have to dial back to 30-40% so by my math if I had five, that should work. If they are evenly spaced on the back wall, then each one has a width of 24” to push and a length of 34” (back to front of tank) - and I think that is reasonable. Am I still of the mark with my thinking?

Don't know. Depends on what kind of flow you're looking for. I'm running (3) MP60's, and (2) MP40's full tilt on a 5' x 3' tank...plus 1000gph return. I like me some flow though.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome build! I would consider some gyres horizontal along the length of the top for less dead spots and better circulation and just supplement with mp40s. Or mp60s? May. Need more flow... especially for the tangs described if you could get flow lengthwise that would probably be best

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah -- the 10' length probably needs more than just front-back flow. I will probably end up having to add a gyre or MP60 to each end, though I was hoping to keep them clear.

While not completely related to circulation, I do plan to have an unnecessarily long overflow -- probably 72" or 96" long. That's more of a water turnover thing, but hopefully the surface skimming will be helpful for the overall health of the tank.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes indeed -- I'm a bit further along with water storage, after picking up a 150 gallon tank from a local reefer. Manufacturer's specs said that it would have .25" clearance for my wife's Honda Pilot. Specs were off by about 3/4" and I had to wedge it in there pretty hard! (I didn't drive with it this way -- I was just trying to pull it out when I got back and it looked comical.)

IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG

Aside from that, I picked up a few tanks at Petco's semi-regular $1/gallon sale. For quarantine, acclimation, etc. they will be good to have around:
2x 40 Gallon Breeder
2x 20 Gallon Long
2x 10 Gallon

Equipment-wise, I am still discussion options with a few vendors. Anything up to 96" can be delivered without too much hassle. 120" seems to make everything more complicated, but I'm still staying the course on that for now.

I am interested in a Lifereef skimmer, especially the 72" one because of the bubble height that some view to be more valuable than the short/fat skimmers. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with those?

U

User1

View Badges
I don't have that skimmer but I purchased a Life Reef back in 2000 with the intent of it being able to grow with me and tank expansion. At the time it was running on a 100 gallon. Over the years I had to take down the 100 gallon so packed up the Life Reef while I ran a 29 gallon bio cube and later a 40 gallon breeder. Recently unpacked it, updated the skimmers pump with a Cor 15, and installed it on my 210 gallon tank. Still runs perfectly fine today no worse for wear. While I don't have the model you are talking about the one I have is rock solid and consistent.

Before adding it to the 210 I exchanged emails to Jeff at Life Reef asking if anything changed or should I purchase a new one. He said - nope. It is perfectly fine outside one or two small changes he made it is more or less the same exact thing. Saved me a lot of money when he could have easily sold me something else.

Tankme USA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do - they haven't been on my radar before, but I hear more and more good things about them. "Too nice to put water in" is exactly what I'm going for! Miracles in Canada should also be on my list.

For the stand, I am likely going to do a beefed up extruded aluminum stand through a company like Framingtech.com -- I don't know why that option is more appealing than a standard steel stand (I don't trust my ability to do wood properly) so if anyone has any experience with a 300+ gallon tank on an aluminum stand -- share your thoughts!

IMG_0111.JPG

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been slowly turning my garage into a 1:1 mockup of my new fish room. The garage is 22x22' and the fish room will be 16x16' so I still have room to store a few other things. I've been ordering PVC fittings and valves from Supplyhouse.com and USPlastic.com, along with a few hard-t0-find items from BRS.

Given that 90% of my pipe and fittings are 1.5" size -- they take up quite lot of space. Obligatory army of PVC fittings picture:

IMG_0894.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use those same pipe clamps. They work really well, just make sure to have oversized head screws (or washers).

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use those same pipe clamps. They work really well, just make sure to have oversized head screws (or washers).

Thanks for the tip! I got these from SupplyHub for a $1/each -- definitely enough savings over BRS/MDepot to buy a few washers!

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a work-in-progress view of how I imagine the fish room will look. Yes, I realize that I am mixing overhead views with side views, but I don't have time to draw all this stuff out in sketchup etc. The display tank will face the main family area.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.24.03 AM.png

Your build is gonna be amazing! Just a suggestion on the QT tanks, I would place them in an area that would minimize the chance of a water droplet from your QT splashing or falling into your frag tank or Refugium and infecting your entire system.

I have 2 QTs in a bedroom and even though they are 7 feet-ish from each other horizontally, I still worry about parasite migration via a water droplet.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sucks the equa valves don't come in a 1"

Yeah, these things are like gold. It's cheaper to just downsize them to 1" with two bushings than it is to get a different 1" Spears valve! For the less important valves, I'm going to cross my fingers and experiment with the Red Flag ball valves. They still come with threads and slip fittings and they seem pretty decent. Definitely several steps up from the crappy ones in Lowes/HD!

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hear you loud and clear on the QT/Hospital Tanks. They are going on a table in the center of the room, away from everything else!

I'm going to have two 20G Long tanks for hospital purposes (using Tank Transfer Method when needed) and a separate 40G Breeder for acclimation or initial quarantine after getting a new fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back