[5g TANK DIED]: rebooting tomorrow (advice needed)

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice for rebooting my tank; details below:

I'll keep this short: I started a 5g tank and in the first 3 months suffered a devastating cyan/slime algae bloom that covered everything. Currently only my RFA, Duncan, and zoanthids have survived. (never had fish). The slime algae began on basically every surface so I thought it was just regular age but by the time I could see that it was probably bacterial it was too late. I was NOT* a lazy owner so it couldn't have been from lack of water changes or bad husbandry. My theories are (1) lack of water flow; (2) somehow detergent got into the water from using a wash rag to clean some algae off the glass; or (3) poor water quality.

I plan to pull out the surviving critters and keep them in a bucket; completely clean the tank and filtration; put in new sand and rock; and restart the cycle.

Materials
- hipargero aqua knight light
- standard 5g rimmed tank
- seqachem tidal 30g filter

Do you guys have any theories of your own/questions? Advice for preventing a resurgence of the slime algae? Concerns about my plan? I will post pictures in a subsequent comment

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures

75FD45A1-8618-46ED-84DC-DCBBB3656807.jpeg E02FADF2-7A20-4DCF-9378-034B2720422F.jpeg 25D39A7B-C08A-452C-AB38-0AD5C1A8131F.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing, and its the hardest for everyone, including MYSELF, have patience when starting over. How have you been testing your tank parameters? How often did you test?

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing, and its the hardest for everyone, including MYSELF, have patience when starting over. How have you been testing your tank parameters? How often did you test?

Yes of course. I use the RODI buddie myself and I buy saltwater from my LFS sometimes (we both use Red Sea). I changed the water about 25% twice a week to keep the parameters steady. Red Sea has a bad evaporation issue with its additives (like high alk)

I tested my parameters once a week with a Red Sea kit

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i take you point with the need for patience but the main thing is getting a tank stable quickly to house the surviving corals

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course. I use the RODI buddie myself and I buy saltwater from my LFS sometimes (we both use Red Sea). I changed the water about 25% twice a week to keep the parameters steady. Red Sea has a bad evaporation issue with its additives (like high alk)

I tested my parameters once a week with a Red Sea kit
What were they at? Personally, I have a 120 gal tank, so the parameters are a little more forgiving vs. a 5 gal tank.

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably had issues with cyano and other bacteria blooms due to the lack of bacteria in the tank. Your tank may have been "too clean". Without any fish in the tank producing waste, bacteria may have never had the chance to flourish

Last edited:

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have is the saltwater you get from your lfs has something wrong with it, your ro/di membranes need to be changed, or your over feeding your tank. ( I had a huge problem when I started over doing reef roids)

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for all the questions, but they are necessary for us to help you. I see @Katrina71 here, I consider him or her/ sorry katrina, the master of Nano's, any ideas?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but did you have a cuc crew at all?

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but did you have a cuc crew at all?

I have two trochus snails. The LFS told me a 5 gallon couldn't support more than that. I avoided crabs because I didn't want them eating my zooanthids or mushrooms

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have is the saltwater you get from your lfs has something wrong with it, your ro/di membranes need to be changed, or your over feeding your tank. ( I had a huge problem when I started over doing reef roids)

I fed reef roids about once a week. I target fed each LPS and nem with a syringe.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably had issues with cyano and other bacteria blooms due to the lack of bacteria in the tank. Your tank may have been "too clean". Without any fish in the tank producing waste, bacteria may have never had the chance to flourish

I was worried about maxing-out my bio load in a 5g nano with any fish. I saw beautiful coral-only tanks that inspired mine.

If you think it's worth a shot I can pick up a clown goby after the new system cycles.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two trochus snails. The LFS told me a 5 gallon couldn't support more than that. I avoided crabs because I didn't want them eating my zooanthids or mushrooms
I don't agree with that. We started in an 8g. I think a complete biome would be beneficial. Our display was probably 6.5 and we had crabs and fish. I think your missing critters allowed a rise in some of your issues.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with that. We started in an 8g. I think a complete biome would be beneficial. Our display was probably 6.5 and we had crabs and fish. I think your missing critters allowed a rise in some of your issues.

Okay that’s great advice, thank you! I’ll pick up a small clown goby to create some ammonia.

I’ll grab a hermit to add to the biome as well

when I was going through my tank I noticed quite a bit of bubble algae. If that resurfaces I’ll probably grab an emerald

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd get 3-4 blue leg hermits and diversify your snails too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back