Soft reboot or hard reset?

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My office tank (200 liter system) needs to be moved to my new office. The tank has been running for 6-7 months.
My intention was to make it an anemone system but now, just before the upcoming move it has developed some bubble algae issues. It's not all over the tank but no matter how much i remove, it seems to come back stronger in more places.

So my question is, should I take this opportunity to disinfect the whole system for a complete reset?
Or should I keep the rocks and sand in a dark trashcan with a pump, and add it back the the tank after moving?

I would like to go for a hard reset but that would mean waiting another 6 months or so before I can add the anemones.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason a reset won’t work is because you’re assembling new tanks from the same general stocks available to you, which brought valonia to the tank. Skipping quarantine by reefing design also impacts, you never had time to assess substrates or corals or snail shells for valonia vectors when they go right into the tank which is how most reefers reef

90 days strict observational qt as the reef design allows you to watch for valonia sprouts and not put them into the tank

You’ll just get it again in the new tank. Must learn how to defeat them using the current setup.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly there’s a way to use vibrant / now discontinued/ to win valonia challenges. It’s not by dumping it into the display. There’s a different way. See if you can buy someone’s half used bottle of vibrant off eBay or here, lemme know when you get some and we can fix valonia

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason a reset won’t work is because you’re assembling new tanks from the same general stocks available to you, which brought valonia to the tank. Skipping quarantine by reefing design also impacts, you never had time to assess substrates or corals or snail shells for valonia vectors when they go right into the tank which is how most reefers reef

90 days strict observational qt as the reef design allows you to watch for valonia sprouts and not put them into the tank

You’ll just get it again in the new tank. Must learn how to defeat them using the current setup.
Just to make sure we're on the same page. Currently there is no coral in the tank. Just a couple of clowns.

Are you saying fully disinfecting the tank, rocks and sand with bleach will not kill the bubble algae? Cleaning the pumps and other equipment with citric acid?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will, along with the full tank biota that prevents dinos and other scourges

that method isn’t ideal because you’ll have to stock the new system back up with things, which will bring it back in like it got in the first time

unless you plan on just keeping fish only it won’t matter if you sterilize it as often as needed

But if you want a reef you’ll need to kill it and not sterilize the system. Valonia is selected for your stocking options, when you add new things to the tank without any qt observation period it’ll just get back in

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will, along with the full tank biota that prevents dinos and other scourges

that method isn’t ideal because you’ll have to stock the new system back up with things, which will bring it back in like it got in the first time

unless you plan on just keeping fish only it won’t matter if you sterilize it as often as needed

But if you want a reef you’ll need to kill it and not sterilize the system. Valonia is selected for your stocking options, when you add new things to the tank without any qt observation period it’ll just get back in
I have no idea how it got in there in the first place. It was a fish only system. I quarantine all fish and corals and my main tank does not have it. Not that I share any tools between the tanks...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back