6 bulb ATI light cycle suggestions

ReefAddict16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers. I’m running a 6 bulb Ati Sunpower fixture with a reefbrite XHO that’s only used for dusk/dawn.
I was wondering how long I should run my lights for and suggestions if I’m receiving too much par as I don’t have a par meter.
Fixture is mounted 8” above water line and most of my acros are mounted 7-10 inches below water line.
Front-Back
Coral+
Actinic
Blue+
Coral+
Purple+
Blue+

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 6x24w ATI for 8 hours, no dusk/dawn. I have it mounted 10" above water line and most of my acros/sps are within 3-5" of the surface and they're fine. I think you should be okay with your light placement. Do you ask because you're having issues? or just curious what others are running?

J. Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are both the Coral + on the same channel? I'd ditch a coral + for another blue + if I were you. Would still have a nice bright look with one Coral +. I'd run the blue channel with the LEDs for 8-10 ours and the main channel with the Coral+ for 6-8 depending on your taste and how the corals react. Start at 6 and move up slowly.

FYI, the Blue+ T5 has just about the same par as the Coral+ so you won't lose much par if you swap one out for more blue. But, if you like the brighter white look, keep what you got.

OP
OP
ReefAddict16

ReefAddict16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 6x24w ATI for 8 hours, no dusk/dawn. I have it mounted 10" above water line and most of my acros/sps are within 3-5" of the surface and they're fine. I think you should be okay with your light placement. Do you ask because you're having issues? or just curious what others are running?

Just curious what others are running.

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running straight T5(retro fit) I staggered the timing -2 on for 12hrs ,an hour after they started 2 more came on, and the last 2 an hour after that. Ran all 6 for 8 hours, then started "ramped down" in reverse. For your set up ,I'd probably go - LEDs on for an hour then start with Act/P+(or B+) for an hour. Then start the others , have all the lights going for 7-8 hours then ramp back down. Just my preference, I like to see the tank change from bright to dark slower than just on/off. Lots of tanks out there that are 8-10 hrs and done, some are on 12-14 hrs as well...

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the following from back to front:

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Geiseman Super Actinic
Blue Plus
Coral Plus

I also have 2 kessil a350ws set at 25% blue/25% white (or whatever the two channels are)

I run:

2 Blue Plus T5s - 12 hours
2 Kessil a350w - 7 hours
4 other T5s - 5 hours

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back