60 cube to 93 cube upgrade

Dsobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after only 2 years I have the itch to upgrade, it's not that I don't like my 60 it's the need for a larger depth cube and this is the biggest I can get in the space I have to work with at this time.

Below is my current 60, it's not the bad but it's also not what I am in-visioning. My wife loves the look, but I have decided to over ride her and go to more of a mixed reef, LPS/SPS mainly. She liked the Fish and few coral look.

New tank will be a 93g rimless cube with Razormax LED lights.

Please give your thoughts on few things please;

1. Pros and cons of a rimless tank?
2. Recommended Sump size?
3. Fug or no Fug?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 252

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Pros and cons of a rimless tank?

Pros - Clean look.
Cons - Snails climb out. No place to set a top for jumpers. Hard to clean algae by waterline without splashing.

2. Recommended Sump size?

Bigger is always better. I have a 60g cube and was only able to fit a 20h in. If you don't mind a rectangular stand, go with a larger sump. 40g BR is a good size.

3. Fug or no Fug?

Fuges would be good if you can make it size appropriate for the tank. I love em but currently can't fit one in without heavy and expensive modifications. If you can fit a decent size fuge in (30-40g fuge would be great IMO), an ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber) is a great option.

lazyreefer90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my 93 gallon rimless cube,,i have had it for a couple years now and love it,,a few fish have jumped,guess they didnt like my tank.lol

20140107_224212_zpsa267e652.jpg

OP
OP
Dsobo

Dsobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, and great looking tank Lazyreefer. Can't wait to get the 93 up soon I guess I will just deal with the few cons involved. As far as a top, I'm not sure how it will look but I had this made by my LFS and it works great. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the rimless tank. To get it on I would have it design and fitted to go inside tight and glue small little tabs 1/4" down in the 3 corners and I think the over flow will hold the 4th corner. Not sure what it will look like yet, but it's a thought/idea.

image.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back