60 Cube with Algae Turf Scrubber

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LouieP not to derail here but I checked this thread via the TT app and the attachments don't show up as pics on my app, they show up as link and I can't view them (permission error)...any idea what that's about? I've never seen that

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ad0af3d56dbd96281a248d3b36e7ef01.jpg

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How things progressing... more or different growth? How's the heniochus in same tank with your corals/ frags ? Is it eating your corals/frags ?

@xanderfish, Ive had the Heni's B/Fly for over a year and no they are not picking on my SPS corals!

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LouieP not to derail here but I checked this thread via the TT app and the attachments don't show up as pics on my app, they show up as link and I can't view them (permission error)...any idea what that's about? I've never seen that

@Floyd R Turbo, IDK??? I added the photos to post #100

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I saw that, was just wondering if you did anything specifically to those pics after posting them. Seems like a Tapatalk bug...I reported it to them. I was just trying to help gather info to possibly help them & R2R troubleshoot. It's very odd...that's all :)

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I saw that, was just wondering if you did anything specifically to those pics after posting them. Seems like a Tapatalk bug...I reported it to them. I was just trying to help gather info to possibly help them & R2R troubleshoot. It's very odd...that's all :)

When I replied to myself or when I just edited the post I saw that the photos were there in code but not there???

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo, did you see the recent BRS videos regarding Chaeto & lights? Ryan made an interesting comment it was something like some lights on a refuge cant compete with the display lights so I was wondering if thats possible why I had a set back with my ATS?

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF Fox Flame Photo from 2017-01-26
2017-01-26.jpg

Big butt colony of Mystic Sunset Im willing to sell this colony if anyone is interested. Send me a PM. Photo was taken 2017-04-01.
20170401_142553.jpg

Mystic Sunset 2017-07-31 check out post #81 you can see that this Mystic Sunset has gotten HUGE!
20170731_104506.jpg

Green Digi I would like to sell this colony too but I dont think it will ship that well. Yes, its now growing out of the tank!!! Go back & check out post #27 & scroll down to the 7 or 8th photo and you can see the difference in size!!! Photo taken 2017-07-31
20170731_104514.jpg

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo, did you see the recent BRS videos regarding Chaeto & lights? Ryan made an interesting comment it was something like some lights on a refuge cant compete with the display lights so I was wondering if thats possible why I had a set back with my ATS?
I haven't seen that video specifically but speaking in general, that could easily be a factor. Not the only factor, IMO not by a long shot, but a factor.

Let's put it this way: if you are able to grow algae on the scrubber or chaeto in a reactor, and you still have a huge algae problem in the display, then for you, it's a factor. I know that seems kind of Captain Obvious of me but it's true...I've seen examples of tanks with high water column nutrients that get fantastic scrubber growth, and zero algae growth in the display (zero meaning not out of control, obviously there would be some algae growth). Then I've seen examples of low nutrients, lots of scrubber growth, and can't eliminate DT algae. Is the tank lighting a factor? Hard to say, could be another nutrient limitation affecting the scrubber algae growth which doesn't allow it to out-compete the DT algae.

The issue here is that there very very rarely is a "gotcha" answer that applies like a blanket to everyone. So saying that there is a factor that one can measure and know 100% whether or not something is going to work before even putting water in the tank...my answer is no, that's not the case, but you might get lucky.

Case: large DT, small reactor. You have a lot of light over the DT, so logic says you put a lot of light on the reactor. The problem is that too much light intensity (or more accurately "light density") can result in no growth, so your reactor is super bright and grows nothing. One might conclude that a reactor doesn't work, and they would be right in that their reactor did not work. Now, you make that reactor super huge but use the same wattage of light. Now your reactor is subject to shading and low light intensity/density (indensity? ;Hilarious) and grows algae/chaeto but can't outcompete the DT because it has more optimal light. It's the Goldilocks scenario.

Conversely, you might have a DT with light (and rock placement, and flow, and etc) that is not very optimal for algae growth, so no matter what type of algae filter you put in it, it's going to knock it out of the park....

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally cleaned my ATS after 30 days! I also completely changed my rockscape I will some photos & video later

2017-10-27_113208.jpg

2017-10-27_113555.jpg

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent out a sample of water to Triton last week and here are the results. I try to sent out a sample every 3-4mths I dont do many water changes because I believe they can cause you more problems and they are the least effective way to reduce nutrients.

Reminder I run a CaRx.
When I get the results back I do the corrective dosing they recommend, which Im normally low on Potassium, sometimes Nickel & Molybdenum. This is their recommended trace elements that I dose weekly.
I: We recommend a daily maintenance dose of 0.27ml. If this dose is very low, then this can be alternatively be dosed weekly (daily dose x7). 1.89ml

Mn: We recommend a daily maintenance dose of 0.38ml. If this dose is very low, then this can be alternatively be dosed weekly (daily dose x7). 2.66 ml

V: We recommend a daily maintenance dose of 0.02ml. If this dose is very low, then this can be alternatively be dosed weekly (daily dose x7). 0.14ml

Zn: We recommend a daily maintenance dose of 0.09ml. If this dose is very low, then this can be alternatively be dosed weekly (daily dose x7).0.63ml

Attachments

• 2017-10-28 Triton Test Results.pdf
    130 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new additions on 12-5-2017:
2017-12-05 ASD Rainbow Millie (1).jpg 2017-12-05 ASD Rainbow Millie (2).jpg
ASD Rainbow Millie
2017-12-05 Bluebery Haze Dragon (1).jpg 2017-12-05 Bluebery Haze Dragon (2).jpg
Bluebery Haze Dragon

2017-12-05 BTRO- BLOW THE ROOF OFF (1).jpg 2017-12-05 BTRO- BLOW THE ROOF OFF (2).jpg
2017-12-05 BTRO- BLOW THE ROOF OFF (3).jpg
BTRO-Blow the Roof Off

2017-12-05 Dragon (1).jpg 2017-12-05 Dragon (2).jpg
Dragon

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive added this Red Sea Regal back in October. I got her from ARC it was in their display tank for over a year and as soon as I put her in my tank she was eating frozen mysis shrimp and I just found out that she eats pellets!!! She was a MAJOR score!

I got the Lineatus Wrasse during RAP in Orlando.

IMG_6169.JPG IMG_6189.JPG IMG_6191.JPG
IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6218.JPG IMG_6192.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back