60 Gallon “Lazy Cube” Build

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really bummed as I was planning a 60g cube build earlier this year. My local petcos did not have the 60g aqueon on sale (they were excluded), so I took the plunge and just ordered a custom planet (with low iron). Significantly more expensive and I found on that recently they started including the 60g on the half off sale...

Regardless, I ended up roughly in the same spot as you although at a higher cost lol. Love your looking stand, looks gorgeous. Here is mine
1680545863763.png

1680545879993.png

Just finished leak testing this weekend
Which sump is that? Looks nice! I am in the equipment purchasing stage of my 60 Cube build. I bought a used tank from a local reefer that came with a 24" sump. But it doesn't fit under the the current stand completely (hangs out the back a bit). So i either need to buy a sump designed for a cube, or rebuild the stand to a similar size like the OP did to fit the 24 inch sump.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a fallow period. Something spread through the tank and killed all four fish. Will be making sure to QT from now on. Expensive lesson. All fish I added had been at the LFS for at least a month showing no signs of illness. Live and learn. Never had a tank wiped out like this.
Dang. Sorry to hear that! I haven't been the most diligent in QT new additions in the past either. Learned my lesson with a hydroid infestation in my current biocube. I will be building a new tank and only the fish will be moved over. Then I will bleach the cube and rock in it and will use it as a QT going forward.
Resized_20230902_131115.jpeg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which sump is that? Looks nice! I am in the equipment purchasing stage of my 60 Cube build. I bought a used tank from a local reefer that came with a 24" sump. But it doesn't fit under the the current stand completely (hangs out the back a bit). So i either need to buy a sump designed for a cube, or rebuild the stand to a similar size like the OP did to fit the 24 inch sump.
trigger 20" crystal. I got one with a blemish with a discount. Very happy with it

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct: https://www.triggersys.com/ts/blemished/

I also didn't realize I live like 10 miles away lol. could have picked it up

Thanks for the link! I think I'm gonna snag one of the Sapphire 20's they have! 265 shipped is a steal!
The sump arrived today! I am very impressed. I believe the "blemish" is a little bit of haziness on a clear piece of the acrylic on a baffle support from the gluing process...won't even be noticeable once there is water in it! Crazy they discount them that much for something so small!

Resized_20230908_212808.jpeg
Resized_20230908_213113.jpeg

Guy25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank coming along? following this as planning to set a 60 cube up myself...especially with black Friday around the corner...

SnubbsDebolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank doing? Any updates? Just bought myself an Aqueon 60 cube on the Petco 50% off sale today. Excited to start my build. Will be a lot different experience from my 55g planted tank and my fiancé and I are excited to finally get into salt water!!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank doing? Any updates? Just bought myself an Aqueon 60 cube on the Petco 50% off sale today. Excited to start my build. Will be a lot different experience from my 55g planted tank and my fiancé and I are excited to finally get into salt water!!
OP hasn't been on since Sept and hasn't posted here since that wipe out event in July. Hopefully all was sorted and it's doing well. I have a 60g cube too, and was enjoying his progress.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP hasn't been on since Sept and hasn't posted here since that wipe out event in July. Hopefully all was sorted and it's doing well. I have a 60g cube too, and was enjoying his progress.
just read through the thread. hopefully he can bounce back and provide us with some updates :)

i plan on upgrading to a 60G cube and was looking at inspiration.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read through the thread. hopefully he can bounce back and provide us with some updates :)

It’s a cool tank! I’ve owned several of them.. it was actually my last tank before I just upgraded to the big boy! I have a thread some where.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm in the process of setting up a 60 cube. Just waiting for my top off container to be delivered and I will be getting my build wet!

GeneralsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an almost identical tank I bought cheap on Craigslist. I'm in the really early stages of the plan. Can I ask what you would think about stocking a coral beauty in that size tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back