60 gallon cube (first timer)

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m seeing, and that’s what I will try is to shorten the drain pipes some. I also tee’d the secondary drain into the primary just above the sump, wondering if that may also be playing a part.
I definitely would consider addressing the T in the drain line also. IMO, that is asking for trouble later on and also reduces the amount that can flow through both drains.

I will be running a bean animal overflow on my 60 cube and will run a dedicated 1" line for every leg of each drain.

Here is a dirty pic of my overflow box. (Tank has been sitting in the garage uncovered for a year while I gather equipment/parts slowly). Haven't cut the emergency drain standpipe or build the durso secondary drain yet.

20231007_152942.jpg

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would consider addressing the T in the drain line also. IMO, that is asking for trouble later on and also reduces the amount that can flow through both drains.

I will be running a bean animal overflow on my 60 cube and will run a dedicated 1" line for every leg of each drain.

Here is a dirty pic of my overflow box. (Tank has been sitting in the garage uncovered for a year while I gather equipment/parts slowly). Haven't cut the emergency drain standpipe or build the durso secondary drain yet.

20231007_152942.jpg
So due to the internal weir actually sitting a tad above the rim, lowering the pipes will not help. I have to either a) lengthen the weir slots myself or b) have modular build me a new internal weir with longer slots…. I drilled it at the height for a tank with a top trim. Should have read instructions I guess lol. As far as the Tee goes I’ll probably just keep it as long as it’s not actually affecting the performance/noise level of the overflow at all, or I guess since I need a ball valve in the drain I could just add it there

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So kind of in a holding pattern while my substrate and some rock is cycling. Need more rock though, thinking of going with a stacked, shelf rock style aqua scape. Do have a question though. In the previous pics posted you can see how the tank is sitting on the end of a kitchen bar, so the back is visible and kinda makes the tank viewable from all four sides, except of course from plumbing and the over flow. I currently have the tank taken down again :/ to paint the stand and was going to paint the back of the tank and that brings me to the question. Would you paint the back? Or try and have something a little different and a tank that although obstructed could be viewed from all sides.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of painting, you could use black vinyl wrap. Its a bit easier to apply before all the plumbing is in place though

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So kind of in a holding pattern while my substrate and some rock is cycling. Need more rock though, thinking of going with a stacked, shelf rock style aqua scape. Do have a question though. In the previous pics posted you can see how the tank is sitting on the end of a kitchen bar, so the back is visible and kinda makes the tank viewable from all four sides, except of course from plumbing and the over flow. I currently have the tank taken down again :/ to paint the stand and was going to paint the back of the tank and that brings me to the question. Would you paint the back? Or try and have something a little different and a tank that although obstructed could be viewed from all sides.
I'd paint it or put black vinyl on the back.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back