60 Gallon Mix(ed)-ology

tinkwithanr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a thread to document my 60 gallon cube build. I've been collecting parts for it over the past few months and am getting closer to seeing some real progress. The plans so far will be a mixed reef with fair amount of easy going SPS, Zoas and (my favorite) LPS. I have a 14 gallon that's been up and running for about a year now, but it's packed pretty full. That and the desire to have more fish/diversity is driving the upgrade. My better half is tire of seeing things at the LFS and not having any room for them!

Equipment list:

-Marineland 60 gallon rimless
- 40 breeder sump (may change out for an acrylic design if a good deal becomes available)
- Custom Stand - Steel welded frame and removable panels
- Modular Marine 1200gph overflow

Flow:
- Main Return - Reef Octopus Varios-4
- Secondary Return - TBD, either picking up a second Varios or an AC Sicce
- In tank Flow - (2) MP10WQD Powerheads

Filtration:
- Skimmer - TBD - I have a used Reef Octopus SRO-2000INT with neck cleaner, but I'm worried that it's oversized for this tank. I'll probably sell it and get something that fits my needs better.
- Fuge - I'll have a dedicated fuge section in the sump
- Reactors - I've got a pair of Sicce media reactors, right now one being used as a cheato reactor on my biocube, but I'll probably swap it out for carbon and maybe GFO if phosphates become an issue.

Lighting:
- Main Tank Light - Radion XR15 Pro Gen4
- Supplimental - Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid (24")
- Fuge Light - Kessil H380 - I may need to swap this out for something more low profile depending on how much vertical room I have in the sump above the fuge area.

Sadly I don't have a ton of picture (yet), but the next few posts will outline the plans for the stand and layout. After that gets finalized I should be able to start welding on the stand!

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how that single XR15 works out on that tank. Looking to change mine out from an Ocean Revive.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back