6061.com Hydra 26 / 52 LED Tank Mount Product Review

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had recently upgraded the lighting on my JBJ 30 rimless as part of my long term plan for upgrading to a larger tank. I currently have a JBJ 30 rimless that I was looking for a clean and classy way to mount a new AI Hydra 52 HD LED. I was not very keen on any of the mounting solutions that AI offers.

I eventually stumbled across the 6061.com mounting system and decided that it satisfied all the requirements that I had for my situation. I would end up paying about 20 bucks more than the EXT system, but I felt it would be worth it because the 6061.com mount looked like a superior product and would allow me to keep the clean lines of the JBJ RL tank, is adjustable, and mounts the light parallel to the width of the tank.

I placed the order at http://www.6061.com/hydra-26-mount-hydra-52-mount.htm on the 11th and it arrived on the 29th. They plainly state that you should allow 1-1/2 to 2 weeks before the mount will ship.

The product was very well packaged and arrived without defect.
LW1mv37.jpg

It included the horizontal and vertical rails and mounting hardware. Note the vent slots for the Hydra fan.
QaWunwL.jpg

My first impression after unpacking and feeling how solid and weighty this mount is was that this company makes a heck of a product. The horizontal rail connects to the vertical rail by two hefty hex bolts. The two threaded adjustment screws went in easily.

After drilling two small holes in my stand, it was time to attach the light to the mount.
a1P5vHo.jpg

This was where I ran into my only bit of difficulty. The light fits VERY snugly onto the mount. After removing the plastic fan cover from the light, it took some work to get the light on the mount. One thing I really liked about the design and installation of this light was that I could install it on my tank without moving the tank. I have about two inches of clearance between the wall and my stand and that was plenty.

The mount also has a recessed groove and cover to hide and route the power cord which makes this a truly elegant mounting solution.

2IEF5CN.jpg

CUvUsrW.jpg

2BTiD76.jpg

Overall, I found this product to be excellent, with fantastic fit and finish, and extremely high quality. Highly recommended.

Defiant Arms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am looking into the 6061 product line for the GHL Mitras I just purchased I just wish they had a tank mount :/

OP
OP
L

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't hurt to email them and see if they could make one!

Defiant Arms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very fast email back and on a Sunday to boot still makes the mounts for the Mitras :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaron was really quick to reply to my questions. Responded within a day every time. You'll be shocked at how heavy and solid these mounts are.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back