light mount arm alternatives for mounting to the aquarium

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey does anyone know of a wall or floor mount bracket that can be placed behind the aquarium and stand that would allow me to fasten the mounting arms to so i can avoid cutting my top and at the same time keep the weight of the arm and light off of my tank completely? not really wanting to hang my lights just want to use the arms just not on aquarium glass. thanks for any help.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tv mount with extruded aluminum is what I did. I don’t really like the look but it’s nice to be able to push my lights out of the way when I need access
IMG_6078.jpeg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights:

I got a 1/2” thick x 3” wide piece of hobby board from home deport, cut it and glued to to small piece of 2x4 to make a t-shape, then put a poly coat on it to protect against moisture. Stuck it behind the tank and used the bubble wrap the light came with to shim between the wall and tank to keep it vertical. Lights then fasten to the top of the vertical piece.

IMG_9942.jpeg

OP
OP
SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking along the same lines actually. Any chance of getting pictures of the way it is assembled and attached to the wall? That size extruded aluminum did you use for the mounting arm? Thank you.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a reefer on here that used a TV wall mount

OP
OP
SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visualize an aluminum rectangular bar approximately 5/8” thick a maybe 1.5” tall then around 64” long This would run behind the tank horizontally and this is what arm mounts would mount to. The bar would have to be mounted to the wall or floor even. So would need arms / supports and brackets or feet for mounting. I guess I just would not know what materials I should use or how to connect the aluminum parts. Hmmm

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking along the same lines actually. Any chance of getting pictures of the way it is assembled and attached to the wall? That size extruded aluminum did you use for the mounting arm? Thank you.
It’s far from perfect. I am concerned about rust and my wires look terrible. I’ve just been too lazy to take it down and do something about that. My brother in law 3d printed some brackets for my lights.

Attachments

• IMG_6081.jpeg
    IMG_6081.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6083.jpeg
    IMG_6083.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 38

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s far from perfect. I am concerned about rust and my wires look terrible. I’ve just been too lazy to take it down and do something about that. My brother in law 3d printed some brackets for my lights.
hi if you were to use an angle grinder you can grind off the rolled over part of the pin and remove the vertical facia plate/mount. IMO it gives it a cleaner look if you are not happy with the visual

Attachments

• Screenshot (224).png
    Screenshot (224).png
    489.3 KB · Views: 38

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi if you were to use an angle grinder you can grind off the rolled over part of the pin and remove the vertical facia plate/mount. IMO it gives it a cleaner look if you are not happy with the visual
That whole flat part that mounts to TV can actually come off. Like I said I’ve been lazy and now there is fish in the tank so I have not been motivated to clean it up. Thanks for the idea though.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey does anyone know of a wall or floor mount bracket that can be placed behind the aquarium and stand that would allow me to fasten the mounting arms to so i can avoid cutting my top and at the same time keep the weight of the arm and light off of my tank completely? not really wanting to hang my lights just want to use the arms just not on aquarium glass. thanks for any help.
see my most recent post here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back