OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little Apex jealousy... all the charts and graphs.

Worked up a "reality" version for myself. Just google sheets and a google form for input. It's nice and big on my phone, so I don't have to try to type into tiny spreadsheet fields and scroll a lot. The forms results then auto-fill into my main parameter spreadsheet. Even the charts update themselves in real time.

Just sent out a 6mo ICP test. It's probably overkill, but just kits for the trace elements I'm interested in (iron, manganese, iodine) Are quite expensive. Basically concerned that my chaeto is chewing through stuff it needs and figure 6 mo is a good interval. If my consumption is way off, or I have undetected water quality issues, now is the time to find out.

Also not happy with my lights. The old AI Sol whites are 90 watts each, but run 2/3 white to blue. With blues at max, I was getting maybe 30 par on the sand. Have to run the whites real high to compensate and I'm just not getting the color or growth I expected. They'll do great mounted low over frags. They're just not gonna support the sticks I'm starting to put up top. Went with SB Reeflight 32"

Have also been really fighting alkalinity and calcium. Thought I had it figured out, but my alk tester has been a huge disappointment. When it was accurate, it was spot on, but my results varied hugely (1.5dkh on occasion) from one bottle of reagent to the next.

Not bashing or naming. Probly great for established and stable tanks where an anomalous reading stands out. When you're expecting fluctuations and constantly adjusting your dosing ISO balance, it is very problematic. Too many variables. 1) dosing changes will lead to changes in parameters
2) this bottle of reagent tells me this
3) backup bottle of reagent tells me that.... What to believe? My expectations, test one, or test two?

Ended up spiking alk to near 12 playing that game. Going back to red sea.

Form.JPG Charts.JPG

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 mo update.

Went to the frag swap at "That Fish Place" in Lancaster Pa a few weeks back and picked up some easier to intermediate Sps. Shortly after added a rockflower.

Also upgraded the AI sols to sb reef 32. Like the light, would never buy again. Warranty is a joke.

Other developments, fitst icp showed a lot of metals. Found metal hose clamp in salt mix bin, rusty hinges on stand, and lots of corrosion on/in fuge light and hanging hardware.

Still no socks or skim. Shop vacd sump bc of rising N. Bottomed out N and P overnight. Dialed back fuge light, still dosing P.

Finally relative stability w major elements. Blending IORC and IO for less elevated params.

All growing... not like I'd like, but plan to relish the stability and te assess at a year.

1571613979015-1485003316.jpg 1571614034284-2030403083.jpg 1571614066510-623260712.jpg 1571697994194202631549.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to say. Around 10 months I guess. Just got over dinos. Not sure how I got them. Left for a week over Christmas and had them. Mb7, bubblescrubbing, and manual removal ftw. Toadstool and pipe organ still recovering, but no casualties. Tank looked good, so picture day!

IMG_20200124_152308.jpg IMG_20200124_152323.jpg IMG_20200124_152336.jpg

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back