65gal reef tank

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like to clean look of using a sump.... at the moment mine is canister filtered. I think more my issue will be the sump size, I have a weird stand... it's a 4' tank and stand, but with open shelving in the center, and 2 small cabinets on each side. I didn't realize at the time, but it's killing my pre-built sump options. I'll have to extreme diy or extreme custom. Looks like a ton of work.

Which is why I'm reading up on others starting with no sump and switching to the dark side. I need to know all the things!

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so as you guys can see in my last photo that my sump I added is sticking out from the stand a little. When I built the stand the intention with the low height was for my 3yo son to easily see the tank. I didn't take into consideration if I added a sump how tall it would be and the equipment such as the skimmer. Well I had it fully under the stand but it was a pita to do maintenance. Had to disconnect OF and return lines to slide sump out to change socks and take the cup off skimmer, obviously that was short lived lol. Im in the process of building a wood cover to match the stand that will slide over the sump so everything will still be out of sight and easily accessible.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an eshopps s-120 skimmer that seems to be doing very well and upgraded my lights from 2 AI prime 16hd fixtures to a Reefbrite XHO 5 strip fixture which has greatly increased coverage throughout my entire tank. The color pop its produced with the coral is incredible as well. I definitely need to get a lens to get good pictures but im really enjoying my setup now.
20211007_131028.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back