68.9F What is the Coldest you had your tank at?

ToesInTheSand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states what has been the coldest you had your tank at and did you see any negative affect when it happened? So we recently had a problem and our tanks got to 85F and lost some coral because of it. Installed a DYI chiller and right now we are between 72 and 75 on a daily swing. Corals that are left look very happy and some that had bleached out are coming back. Are there any benefits to a lower tank temp?

Thanks for looking

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64 after a 50 degree 40 gal water change.
had no issues. Wouldn’t recommend it.
Tank went from 76 to 64 really fast. Thought everything was going to die, But it didn’t.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states what has been the coldest you had your tank at and did you see any negative affect when it happened? So we recently had a problem and our tanks got to 85F and lost some coral because of it. Installed a DYI chiller and right now we are between 72 and 75 on a daily swing. Corals that are left look very happy and some that had bleached out are coming back. Are there any benefits to a lower tank temp?

Thanks for looking
72 seems a bit low, I have always kept my tanks at 76-78. I always try for +1-1 of the temp I’m aiming for.
You can also use fans for cooling, as a 1stg then set chiller to come on if the fans can handle it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugg my pico was 65-68 for three months in 2018 and it bleached. But I got it all back over time luckily, bleached can come back

order of ops for 90 day insult:

I had hacked a mini heater to fit into my pico and for two years worked fine. Then one day my corals were lighter than normal even though feed water changes were on track. I lowered light levels intensity in response to lightening though I didn’t know the cause yet

that saved them

this was during winter of course a heater doesn’t go out in the summer time lol

for the next two mos with more lightening I got angry at my lost biological ability to keep corals in a fishbowl, accused kessil of selling me bad lights, thought some blue chips went out and white was burning them ;( and they wouldn’t replace the unit lol

also accused fish store of selling me bad water. Not in Karen mode angrily but just hinted: any chance you’re using pennies in your salt mix ? Lol or tap water with chlorine still in it?

then when the bowl was pure white it dawned on me to check temp, 67 ish, months
(I do check change water temps, just not the tank)
dang it sorry to all

went to wal mart bought tetra heater, fed well slowly increased lights all good now, it seems having a tank thermometer would’ve been wise in hindsight

a day or two you’ll be fine, don’t go three months

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back