Water temp & PH

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my mind wonder while star gazing at my tank and had an idea/subject come upon me which I think has not been discussed. We were all told and informed in the beginning stages of our reef tank to pick a water temperature and to maintain it.
What if there are benefits waiting for us on the lower/higher end? The average temp recorded over the reefs was 76F low and 86F high. And from my understanding colder temp waters = more oxygen, whereas higher temp waters = less oxygen. So my thoughts are; can we lower our tank temp to 76F and expect some oxygen boost? Or is the temp difference not big enough for us to see a difference? Either way I’d like to hear what you guys think.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solubility of dissolved O2 in water is a physical constant that is impacted by temperature, but getting the water saturated in O2 in a tank isn't simply a factor of temperature alone. If it is saturated at 86F then I will likely be saturated at 76 if nothing else (circulation, skimmer operation, etc) changes.

It does this without any thought, but ime we do need to think about keeping tank circulation functional.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back