chemiclean in 11.4 gallon question

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, its been 44 hours, I have an air stone running at the bottom of my tank(not in the water column) which is making the top of the tank and the bottom having a 6F TEMP DIFFERENCE!!!(bottom 75.6!!, AND TOP IS 79-81??!!!!) can I move the air stone to my water column(its an aio tank) or can I turn it off for the remainder of the 3-4 hours?

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble understanding how there can be a temp difference between the top and bottom of a tank from an air stone?

Don’t you have any flow in the tank?
I do, but its cuz the air stone is also kinda powerful too, its also on the sand, next to the heater, transporting the hot air bubbles and water up,

Shelton O Neale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, its been 44 hours, I have an air stone running at the bottom of my tank(not in the water column) which is making the top of the tank and the bottom having a 6F TEMP DIFFERENCE!!!(bottom 75.6!!, AND TOP IS 79-81??!!!!) can I move the air stone to my water column(its an aio tank) or can I turn it off for the remainder of the 3-4 hours?
No, tank needs aeration and water movement.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but its cuz the air stone is also kinda powerful too, its also on the sand, next to the heater, transporting the hot air bubbles and water up,
Thermodynamics will cause the hot water to naturally rise and mix with the cooler water even with minimal flow.

A bubbler shouldn't be used for anything other than extra oxygenation and even then typically only during power outages.

That said, you should be able to tune down the aerator with a splitter or just buy a smaller cheap one

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, I decided to call it quits with chemiclean, tank is looking PERFECT!!! I did the 20% water change(did a 30-40% just to make sure, and it was also water change time) and everything looking great :D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back