OP
OP
S

Shetty54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank lost 0.002 from a 30% WC, the specific gravity of the new water was not well matched to that of the tank. That would be my guess as to why corals are in a funk, and is another reason not to do large WCs.
So how often do you guys do water changes and how much? Do your nutrient levels play a role in when you do water changes? What do you try to keep your nutrients at or below? Or do you not worry about nutrient levels? Forgive me I’m trying to understand what you and evil1 are trying to say here haha

OP
OP
S

Shetty54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having issues with your nitrate and phosphate runny high? Softies and lps like dirty water then sps. Higher nutrients. 10 ppm nitrate and .05 and up to 1 ppm phosphate is generally fine for such. Best advice I can give is don’t chase numbers. Let the tank tell you when something is out of wack.
So just watch the corals and let them tell me when something is wrong?

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how often do you guys do water changes and how much? Do your nutrient levels play a role in when you do water changes? What do you try to keep your nutrients at or below? Or do you not worry about nutrient levels? Forgive me I’m trying to understand what you and evil1 are trying to say here haha
Honestly I do a 5 gallon water change maybe every 2 weeks on a 65 gallon heavy stocked mixed reef. I don’t tinker too much, test many every 2 weeks and let the tank tell me ( by observing polyp extension.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so every week I do a 10 gallon water change on my Biocube 32. Corals were doing fine for quite some time. Then this week when I did my water change nothing will open. Water temp of tank is 79. Water change temp 78. Supplemental light added for more coral support. Tank has been up for 4 months and this is the first issue. Any advice would be appreciated!

Pre water change Parmas:
Ammonia- undetectable
Nitrite- undetectable
Nitrate- 10 ppm
Phosphate- .1
Ca-450
kh- 11.5
Salinity-1.027
Ph-8.2

Post water change:
Ammonia- undetectable
Nitrite- undetectable
Nitrate-5.5 ppm
Phosphate-.1
Ca-470
Kh-12
Salinity-1.025
Ph-8.2

IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1538.jpeg IMG_1539.jpeg IMG_1540.jpeg
Changing salinity from 1.027 to 1.025 with a water change would take some adjustment. Give them a day and let us know.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just watch the corals and let them tell me when something is wrong?
That’s what I do. That being said as your tank is very young I would test more often then I do. Keep in mind that your parameters do not have to be spot on according to the charts. A little below or high is fine. Dot be quick to adjust or bring one element up just because it’s low. You will eventually find your sweet spot. Remember all reef systems act and react differently. No 2 are exactly the same.

Malum Argenteum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 120g water in my system (90g DT, big LR sump), and change 15g or so one a week or every other. I may change 25g if the tank really needs it. I keep 25g SW mixed on hand at all times, so it could be mixed and filtered and heated for a week or two before I use it. SG is always matched to 1.026.

I measure nutrient levels once in a while just to keep an eye on trends, and also if something looks off (algae, usually). I run a sulfur denitrator to keep NO3 under control and run aluminum PO4 media, changed at every WC (heavy feedings of LPS, some NPS).

Maybe not a major factor, but I would think you'll have a little more trouble with nutrients given the large particle substrate you're using -- traps debris, and arguably has less denitrifying capacity. Just an observation.

OP
OP
S

Shetty54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of corals
Thanks I guess? This is the first time I’ve ever had this situation so it freaked me out. As you can see the corals were doing great prior to this situation. They had great growth over the past 3 months. Im confused at your comment really….

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I guess? This is the first time I’ve ever had this situation so it freaked me out. As you can see the corals were doing great prior to this situation. They had great growth over the past 3 months. Im confused at your comment really….

Most folks don't start adding a coral until 3+ months.

There is too much happening biologically in a new tank

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I don't mean to be cryptically judgmental. It is about stability and variables. 4 months is a young tank. I think I saw about 10 corals in your setup, including an SPS? In my opinion that is way too many variables way to fast in a system that has not yet reached cruising altitude (stability). At the end of the day, it is an opinion, and I wish you the best of luck.

OP
OP
S

Shetty54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most folks don't start adding a coral until 3+ months.

There is too much happening biologically in a new tank
Ehhh I got ya. To each their own I guess. I’ve never had a problem adding corals this early. I will admit this is the first time I’ve added sps this early. But it’s been growing and has had great polyp extension over the past couple months.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I changed 1% daily with an automatic system. Nutrient levels played no role in deciding that level. I did water changes for other reasons.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back