New tank cycling question

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my ammonia dosing on the 28th of Feb and everything was going accordingly. By day 10 I was able to convert 2 ppm ammonia down to 0.25 within 24 hours. However, my Nitrite was still reading around 2 and my Nitrate somewhere between 40-80 ppm. I did an initial 20% water change and my Nitrite/Nitrate values did not change, but my ammonia dropped to 0. I decided to throw a little food in the tank to prevent bacteria die off, and two days later (today) completed an additional 30% water change. Now, my Nitrite is still reading somewhere between 1-2 and my Nitrate is around 40.

I am not sure why I am not seeing bigger changes with my readings after such large water changes. However, with the Nitrate still that high, I really don't want to introduce any fish. At the same time, I feel that I need to keep dosing ammonia/food in order to keep the bacterial population afloat but, that is just going to continue to boost the Nitrite and Nitrate values.

1. Do you think it is ok to introduce a fish(s) as opposed to continually dosing ammonia with higher than ideal Nitrate?
2. Should I just continue to add some food as opposed to ammonia, just to keep the bacterial culture stable?
2. Do you think my high Nitrite/Nitrate values are related to the API testing kit? I have used it in the past without any issues, but the fact I cant export any nutrients with massive water changes seems strange.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate may be artificially reading high due to nitrite being present. Also, nitrites are not harmful to marine fish. I would personally just do a water change then add some (quarentined) fish :)

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with both people above.

Nitrite is not harmful to marine fish, but I always wait until my nitrites get to 0, until I get fish, but that's just on the safe side.

When you get your first fish, make sure it's hardy because you tank is just finishing the cycling phase.

Not sure your tank size, but I can not recommend this more. Start  slow.

Only add a few fish at a time, depending on the tank size.

OP
OP
L

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with both people above.

Nitrite is not harmful to marine fish, but I always wait until my nitrites get to 0, until I get fish, but that's just on the safe side.

When you get your first fish, make sure it's hardy because you tank is just finishing the cycling phase.

Not sure your tank size, but I can not recommend this more. Start  slow.

Only add a few fish at a time, depending on the tank size.
I use to have a 55 g I broke down over the last year due to an insane algae outbreak. I set up a 25g as my new quarantine about a year ago and have been slowly adding what I could salvage to it. Now I’m cycling up a RedSea 350 so it would be more of moving those fish over. I want to leave my clowns because I’m not moving the anemones yet, so it would be a damsel and a tomini tang to start. I’m pretty much only concerns with the tang, which is why I wanted my nitrates on the lower side. I guess I’ll stick with the water changes, I just can’t make up more than 25ish% at a time. Considering a 25% reduction per water change, I am looking at 3-4 more changes to get my nitrates below 20. Guess I need to spring for a 50g brute lol

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why I am not seeing bigger changes with my readings after such large water changes. However, with the Nitrate still that high, I really don't want to introduce any fish.
Since you added a bunch of ammonia and processed it, you have lots of nitrite - so you are overwhelming the test. So even big water changes are still maxing out the test.

At the same time, I feel that I need to keep dosing ammonia/food in order to keep the bacterial population afloat but, that is just going to continue to boost the Nitrite and Nitrate values.
you don't need to keep adding ammonia. They'd still be present, though maybe scaled down a little even if you didn't feed them for a few weeks.

OP
OP
L

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you added a bunch of ammonia and processed it, you have lots of nitrite - so you are overwhelming the test. So even big water changes are still maxing out the test.

you don't need to keep adding ammonia. They'd still be present, though maybe scaled down a little even if you didn't feed them for a few weeks.
This was my bigger question, if I could just hold off on feeding for a week without destroying my current bacterial population. I assumed I could, but its nice to hear someone else validate my thought.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Nitrifying biofilms are quite good at surviving periods of starvation. So they can handle a couple of weeks if you didn't feed, but you could also toss in an occasional pinch of fish food every 2-3 days and that wouldn't harm anything either, and it wouldn't keep spiking your nitrite super high.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back