End of cycle parameter check-in

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure my cycle has ended now, I just want to check.
I'll be moving some livestock over from the tank I'm shutting down, so if the tank isn't ready for fish, coral or invertebrates in any combination, please let me know.

Here are my parameters, sorry if I've forgotten any. I used API for the ammonia and nitrite, Hanna for the phosphate and nitrate, and Aquaforest for the calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrate - 22.1ppm
Nitrite - 1-2ppm
Phosphate - 0.90, not sure what's going on here, any advice on phosphate during the cycle would be great.
Calcium - 400ppm
Alkalinity - 12 dKH
Magnesium - 1370 ppm

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yes that the cycle is complete. Best way too check is to dose ammonia to 2.0ppm and it should be 0ppm 24hrs later. For as the phosphates, did you use tapwater, dry rock? What salt you using? Alk is a little on the high side, imo. You will have no wiggle room.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're missing the sole data needed to call a cycle: time underwater (number of days stewing) plus cycle type (bottle bac and dry rock, or ocean rock, or cured rock from another tank)

Nothing about the test kits matter, half the time we can't get api to read anything sensible. time matters most as the factor and is the equalizer across potentiality misreading test kits.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yes that the cycle is complete. Best way too check is to dose ammonia to 2.0ppm and it should be 0ppm 24hrs later. For as the phosphates, did you use tapwater, dry rock? What salt you using? Alk is a little on the high side, imo. You will have no wiggle room.
Used RODI water, dry ocean rock, and salt is Aquaforest reef salt.
How should I bring the Alk down?
We're missing the sole data needed to call a cycle: time underwater (number of days stewing) plus cycle type (bottle bac and dry rock, or ocean rock, or cured rock from another tank)

Nothing about the test kits matter, half the time we can't get api to read anything sensible. time matters most as the factor and is the equalizer across potentiality misreading test kits.
Been cycling since 26 Jan. I used Dr Tim's One and Only bottle bacteria. I used dry ocean rock.
Sorry, forgot to include the most relevant info.
Have you moved over rock and sand from the other tank?
No, none of the rock or sand is from the other tank, I'm starting from scratch to avoid the problems that I'm having in the other tank.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to move my clownfish pair over today or tomorrow if the consensus is that my tank will be safe for livestock.
I'm not sure how to tell whether my tank has cycled, there are lots of different threads on it, and they all have different answers.
I don't want to rush anything, but if the cycle is over and I can move livestock over, I'd rather do that sooner than later.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to move my clownfish pair over today or tomorrow if the consensus is that my tank will be safe for livestock.
I'm not sure how to tell whether my tank has cycled, there are lots of different threads on it, and they all have different answers.
I don't want to rush anything, but if the cycle is over and I can move livestock over, I'd rather do that sooner than later.
If you've added 3 or 4 ppm ammonia already you will be ok. Just monitor ammonia for your own peace of mind (a little bump here and there isn't disastrous). Alk at 12 won't matter for fish, nitrite just messes with your nitrates test, phosphates at 0.9 is no biggy either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back