OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the rock in a brute but make sure you ghost feed it to keep the good bacteria alive.
Thanks for your advice! I went to Home Depot and bought a brute trash can. I am now ghost feeding while I cycle.
8E90B63A-2CCC-4701-AD15-CFCE7E763DD2.jpeg

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that the issue, I didn't take time to watch the video, is it wrong technique or makes it look too easy?
When you say you “resealed” the tank what did you do? I feel like this is a misused term quite often. To reseal a tank you must remove all silicone, tank the tank completely apart sand/clean the edges the re silicone/put the tank back together. Unfortunately only adding new silicone to the seams does almost nothing at all to keep the tank together :-/. People are told time and time again to “reseal” the tank just by removing the old and just adding new in the corners, that just a ticking time bomb. People are also told to use “GE silicon 1” but again this is not the answer, while it completely reef safe once it cures it’s not meant to hold a tank together. It’s great to holding in sump baffles and things like that but definitely not to hold that much pressure.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to read this. Water and wood don’t mix. A plumber made a mistake with water heater, water on 6 month old bamboo floor. He and we were present to sop it up, probably 5 gal worth. Short version, 18 k in damage, insurance covered. We now have a Hickory wood floor throughout.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to read this. Water and wood don’t mix. A plumber made a mistake with water heater, water on 6 month old bamboo floor. He and we were present to sop it up, probably 5 gal worth. Short version, 18 k in damage, insurance covered. We now have a Hickory wood floor throughout.
I’m sorry to hear about your loss bu glad insurance covered it!
Thank goodness my floor is fine (oak in my case). The industrial fan and dehumidifier worked wonders. When I bought the house, the wood slats had some gaps in some of the boards right where most of the water was. The water must have made its way down to the crawspace pretty fast.
I got really lucky because nothing buckled and there is not even a smell of mildew when I walk in the front door. Really really lucky because I’m scare to death to make a claim on insurance and get cancelled prior to hurricane season.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you had gaps. The bamboo buckled, it was thick stuff and glued down. We’re on a cement foundation.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a leak while I was out of town and my bride wrapped the tank with cargo straps, using towels on the corners and under the hooks and ratchet. She cinched it down and the leak stopped. We had it with 2 straps around it for 6 months while we had a new custom tank built.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a leak while I was out of town and my bride wrapped the tank with cargo straps, using towels on the corners and under the hooks and ratchet. She cinched it down and the leak stopped. We had it with 2 straps around it for 6 months while we had a new custom tank built.
That’s an amazing partner! You are a lucky guy!
Mine was helping me with pressure on the side while I quickly siphoned water out of tank. Without help, I’m sure another 10 to 20 gallons would have leaked...

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any updates

New tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back