6x3x2 feet. Enough for an emperor?

Pseudodiego

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2024
Messages
130
Reaction score
128
Location
Spain
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

For those that had an emperor angelfish before, is an 6 x 3 x 2 feet tank enough for them?

Thanks.
 
so managed to pull this info for you

While an Emperor Angelfish can survive in a 6-foot tank, it's not ideal. These fish are known to be very active and can grow quite large, potentially dwarfing a 6-foot tank. A larger tank, ideally 8 feet or more, is recommended for their long-term health and well-being. A 6-foot tank might be suitable for a juvenile Emperor Angelfish, but they will outgrow it as they mature
 
1745228529312.jpeg


Personally, I grew one out from a juvenile in a 5' tank, but it was kept stocked minimally, with excellent filtration (including a skimmer and UV sterilizer). Unlike some other types of large fish, his swim pattern was pretty 'chill', and he never seemed to pace in a stressed or neurotic sort of way. I don't know whether everyone would agree with me-- because 6 or 8 feet would be 'better,' perhaps-- especially if a person was not able to commit to having such few fish; but I was going for a 'pet fish' type vibe, with him and his buddy, the Clown Trigger. They never fought (but maybe I was just fortunate in that way). Again, I'm just offering my one experience. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons. Best wishes!
 
1745228529312.jpeg


Personally, I grew one out from a juvenile in a 5' tank, but it was kept stocked minimally, with excellent filtration (including a skimmer and UV sterilizer). Unlike some other types of large fish, his swim pattern was pretty 'chill', and he never seemed to pace in a stressed or neurotic sort of way. I don't know whether everyone would agree with me-- because 6 or 8 feet would be 'better,' perhaps-- especially if a person was not able to commit to having such few fish; but I was going for a 'pet fish' type vibe, with him and his buddy, the Clown Trigger. They never fought (but maybe I was just fortunate in that way). Again, I'm just offering my one experience. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons. Best wishes!

That was what I wanted to know, in videos they seem more chill that tangs for example.

I plan to have a very peaceful tank. The emperor will be by far the bigger fish. No other angel or tangs in there, just clownfish, royal gramma, yellow watchman gobies, some small anthias, etc.

About filtration there is no problem, the sump will be in the basement, so I can add as much filtration and gallons in there as I want.
 
That was what I wanted to know, in videos they seem more chill that tangs for example.

I plan to have a very peaceful tank. The emperor will be by far the bigger fish. No other angel or tangs in there, just clownfish, royal gramma, yellow watchman gobies, some small anthias, etc.

About filtration there is no problem, the sump will be in the basement, so I can add as much filtration and gallons in there as I want.
ah so you we're fishing for a yes answer
 
Not really, I discarded having a powder blue tang because people said here to me that they are too aggressive. But I want opinions from people that have them.
the response that i did digging on was from someone that owned 1 lol but you completely disregarded it and jumped on the yes man
 
Since you have a 6x3 that does give you a little more leeway, but ultimately they really need an 8 foot tank. They are less active than tangs for sure, but they also grow larger than most commonly available tang species. Will it survive in a 6’ tank? Absolutely. Is it really a good long term home, IMO no.
 
That is nature size. Last month I went to Maldives for my honeymoon, saw a lot of them and they don't get much bigger than that.

They don't reach that size in aquariums. Maybe after many years in super big aquariums.
They do t reach that size in aquariums?

That is just a straight up lie - I managed a 285g tank with one and it eventually outgrew the tank and needed to be moved to a 1500g tank.

They are huge powerful fish. They are definitely more “chill” swimmers than some tangs but I don’t think most people should own them in home aquariums. Like putting a border collie in a 1 bedroom apartment for its entire life.
 
I would imagine it would be cramped in there when its an adult. They love to swim in rocks and pick at them. Would you be fine while it grows 100%. But I would be ready for a very large upgrade when it gets big!
 
So no long term them.
I would imagine it would be cramped in there when its an adult. They love to swim in rocks and pick at them. Would you be fine while it grows 100%. But I would be ready for a very large upgrade when it gets big!

How long to get there? I don't mind searching for a new home for it after 5 or 6 years, but if it grows in a couple years I rather not get it.
 
I don't want to start the old, 'A fish will grow to the size of the tank' debate-- I won't touch that one with a 10-foot pole. But after 5 years, mine seemed to have reached a stable size. (I sadly lost him in 'The Great Heater Disaster of 2025.') But I respect all opinions on this issue; that photo of that 15" monster, straight from the sea, is spectacular by the way!
 
So no long term them.


How long to get there? I don't mind searching for a new home for it after 5 or 6 years, but if it grows in a couple years I rather not get it.
To be honest Im not sure of growth rate. Ive tried a few juveniles but they die in QT. I got a 7 inch adult and she was sick out of the shipping bag, lost her as well. My last one was so tiny but he seemed to grow pretty fast before he passed (was when I got hippo that brought what looked like black ich into my tank and killed everyone but my eels). So I didnt get to observe long. I would imagine they grow pretty fast as juveniles and slow down when they change to adult coloring. Someone correct me if Im wrong please 😂 but thats just what I got from research.
 
So on paper, you would need the width of the tank to be 2x - 2.5x the size of the fish so they can turn around and 225+ gallon tank. For a 72"x36"x24" tank, you have 270 gallons and the bare minimum width for the adult size of the fish (2.5x is 37.5"). So on paper, it is fine but that's the bare minimum requirement for a fish that lives for 15-20 years. You could go down the route of keeping it as a juvenile and rehoming it, but that's an ethical question you have to ponder yourself. They only keep their juvenile markings for up to 24-30 months.

A question worth asking is why do you want an emperor and is there a different fish that meets those desires?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new