fourfootreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! The first seven months of my saltwater hobby has been quite a crash course. Last time I posted I had a BG chromis and an orange spot shrimp goby. I found a really good deal for a pair of black storm clowns for $80. I hadn't been quarantining and the clowns died of brooklynella and the chromis and goby got ick so I rehomed them and have been fishless for four months to remove. I thought I would dislike having no fish but I I've really liked the reduced maintenance and I now understand how much more important the screening process is. I've been corals slowly, currently I have (left to right) a naughty neon tentacle oullophyllia , green and red galaxea, neon green sinularia (hitchhiker on liverock), hammer coral, two toadstool leathers, acan, rock flower anemone, two zoas, red bowerbanki (sold to me as a scolymia but has three heads lol), LA Lakers turbinaria, branching GSP, yellow submarine favia, green hairy (ricordia?) mushrooms, xenia, and a duncan. Currently battling with dinoflagellate algae, which I have learned has a lot of differing care directions. I read this can be caused by bottomed out nitrate and phosphate so I started feeding reef roidz a few times weekly. I read that potassium might be needed if my nitrates and phosphates are bottomed out so if dinos last another month I will test and possibly dose.

Tomorrow I hope to pick up a lubbock fairy wrasse and begin the quarantine process. I am actually looking forward to this process as it makes me feel a bit more involved and less of an impulse.

Stuff has been growing and am so happy I came over to the dark side of aquariums.
P.S. Why does coralline grow like crazy on equipment but hardly on rockwork!!?

fulltank9.7.23.jpg

Happy reefing

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to Reef2Reef!
The tank looks good and has a lot of potential. I used to have a 20 gallon long and it is how I got started in the hobby. I learned so much with it and use many of the same procedures on my current tank.

You should definitely start a Tank Thread so we can keep track of your build and watch it change and evolve. You will also get a cool Tank Thread badge under your name.

Tank Thread How To

OP
OP
fourfootreefer

fourfootreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to Reef2Reef!
The tank looks good and has a lot of potential. I used to have a 20 gallon long and it is how I got started in the hobby. I learned so much with it and use many of the same procedures on my current tank.

You should definitely start a Tank Thread so we can keep track of your build and watch it change and evolve. You will also get a cool Tank Thread badge under your name.

Tank Thread How To
Thank you! I was trying to figure that out...

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re doing everything right with the QT now, tank looks great. I like tank transfer method instead of copper for the ich/ velvet elimination step in QT but it’s not for everyone. Concur on enjoying low fish loads, I have 6 small fish in my 120 gallon, definitely fewer water changes required, got away with no water changes last year due to life circumstances, back to normal routine now. Hang in there with the dinos they can be challenging

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back