70 Gallon Cube. My first reef tank

HaWrasser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, this is my first saltwater tank. ive kept freshwater for a few years and wanted to take the leap into a reef tank. i started the tank about a year ago last may or june im not sure. i didnt document the building of the tank but i just took pictures of some of the corals i have so i wanted to share! i dont have names for any of them so if youd like to chime in and give a name or just a comment that would be awesome! if you have any questions just ask. ill try to get some pictures of my sump up soon as well.

the equipment that i have running is as follows:
-70 gallonish acryllic tank 24x22x30 i picked it up off craigslist for 75$. at the time i loved it but now i kind of want to upgrade to a more shallow traditional tank this one has given me some issues with maintenance because it is so deep and just an overall lack of space.
-display has about 70lbs of rock and a 5 inch deep sand bed
-lighting is a kessil a360w on a kessil spectral controller
-trigger systems sump. refugium section has some mangroves and macro algae as well as and a 3-4 inch sand bed. return pump is a mag 18
-aquac ev-240 skimmer (thing is a complete monster) powered by a mag drive 18
-i have a few small maxijets in the 1st section and return section of the sump to keep detritus from settling
-for chemical filtration i run chemi pure blue and some purigen

i dose two part solution, somewhere around 45 ml a day. i want to get dosing pumps eventually as well as a controller. my system is pretty basic and just has a massively oversized skimmer which has been working out pretty well so far!

okay to the fun part...pictures! now bare with me i have a cheap lens i bought used off ebay that i took these macro shots with. i turned the kessil to 100% color for most of the shots, some may be more like 30% color but most should be with the whitest light i could provide. ill try to get better at using my camera. this was the first time i took photos of my reef as i now have a dslr and a lens with a macro function.

Acan lord (Unique corals)
_DSC2619.jpg

Acan bowerbanki (Ultimate Corals)
_DSC2620.jpg
Favia (LFS)
_DSC2621.jpg
Acan echinata (Unique Corals)
_DSC2625.jpg
Acan lord (unique corals)
_DSC2627.jpg
Brain coral, lobophyllia (Saltwaterfish.com mystery coral)
_DSC2633.jpg
partial view of sandbed
_DSC2636.jpg

Front tank shot
_DSC2643.jpg
Hammer coral (Saltwaterfish.com)
_DSC2646.jpg
Hammer coral (saltwaterfish.com)
_DSC2650.jpg

i need to post again to upload some more pics so i will try to do that now!

OP
OP
H

HaWrasser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some more!
Yuma (Ultimate corals)
_DSC2651.jpg
Green zoa (started as 3/4 polyps on some live rock i bought from petgoods as my first coral! :)) riccordia, brain coral/favites (saltwaterfish.com)
_DSC2656.jpg
Turbinaria/pagoda cup and green star polyp (saltwaterfish.com), rainbow monti (ultimate corals)
_DSC2658.jpg
one more pic of the acan echinata (ultimate corals)
_DSC2660.jpg
Acan lord (ultimate corals)
_DSC2662.jpg
shot of the sand bed (some blastos/chalice/acans..)
_DSC2664 (1).jpg
Micromussa (LFS)
_DSC2664.jpg
Zoa or paly? (fragged it from a mystery coral from saltwaterfish.com)
_DSC2667.jpg
Blasto (ultimate corals)
_DSC2670.jpg
zoa colony started as a frag(saltwaterfish.com),
_DSC2671.jpg

there are some more! i hope you guys like my photos im gonna try to get better and upgrade to a nice lens and tripod eventually!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back