7400 gph Reeflo pump need help need Ball valve???

Zombie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
177
Reaction score
1
Location
--
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sold a 7400 gph Reeflo pump. I will have to run it on 220 volts. I didn't know it was 220... I have room in my panel to do it.

I was going to run a different pump until I found it not able to do more then trickle up at the display tank. If it was running anything else
I would get almost nothing upstairs.
I decided to go with one large pump to run my whole system.

This is to run
A 250 gallon deep dimension tank on the first floor.
One forty breeder for a frag tank, one 30 long for a refugium and a chiller in the basement.

I am running 1.5 inch PVC pipe up 9 feet and 6 feet of 1" hose up to the bottom of the tank..

Questions
Will putting a ball valve in line actually reduce kwh saving money in electricity and if so how much? Reflow states that it will... But how much?
Can you " Valve Back" the pump that much?
Is 7400 gph way too much or just a little too much???
 
Last edited:
Never mind.............
I'm going to return the pump, need something way smaller.:squigglemouth:
 
Last edited:
I use a Mag24 pump in my basement, 1.5" pvc pipe up and down, and it pushes more flow than my overflow can handle. I use a ball valve to turn it down. I would estimate that I turn the valve handle maybe 1/4th closed. The pump has worked flawlessly since I got it. I've never even taken it apart to clean it.

Oh...and don't forget to get a check valve to put just after your pump on the lower level. You MUST use one with a spring in it, not one of the big flapper types. The flapper types will often chatter when closing, and just continue to allow bypass. The spring types are actually smaller so they are easier to get in where you need them.
 
I wound up using a Supreme HY-Drive - 6000GPH Pump. It is throttled back up to the tank upstairs and is also running a chiller, frag tank, 40 gallon reef and a 30 gallon refugium it can do more if I need it to. I originally wanted to run it externally but It leaked from day one out of the seal. I didn't feel like playing with it anymore, so it is now in the sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new