75 gallon predator tank

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some cool fish I could go with in a 75. I do plan to upgrade to a 150 plus in the next year or so. For now I don't want anything that shouldn't be in a 75 though. I like odd ball stuff. I do plan on a lion fish and a marine beta as of right now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the lion and the betta are good choices. Any of the dwarf species lions along with the medium bodied ones which include the antennata, radiata, and mombasa. You could get a couple difference lions if you choose. A jeweled moray, ghost eel, black or blue ribbon eel. If you wanted a grazer something like a two spot bristletooth tang, not one of your more common tangs and does well in a smaller tank.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depend on what species of Lionfish, Volitan Lionfish will have a good snack on your Marine Beta.
Any pebble tooth eels would be fine with your fish (not too small to be consider as food though), sharp tooth eels will prey on your fish stock at some point.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anglerfish would be cool predator to have in a tank this size! They don't take up much space either.

My favorite lionfish is the Fu Manchu Lionfish but I think that they can be hard to get nowadays. Especially here in Florida due to our lionfish import ban.

It's not really considered a predator but a puffer of some sort would be a fun addition as well, lots of personality in pufferfish.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys thing about a Zebra Moray Eel in a 75 gallon tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys thing about a Zebra Moray Eel in a 75 gallon tank?
ity

Some people think it's ok, but that eel gets huge 5' and thick. In reality most eels don't take up that much space, they find a cave or 2 and pretty much settle in. Only really active out and about if they are hungry. But the bioload on that eel is huge, keep your stocking minimal and you might pull it off.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a huge sump for it so water volume will be more like 110. I have been reading that they are the best eels as far as not eating your fish. I know the dwarf Golden's would be good but they are just to small. I want an eel with some size. Any suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fangtooth fan myself, I have jeweled and he's a great eel. You can always go with a snowflake. It would be unlikely that a small fangtooth like a jeweled take down the fish you are interested in. Every time I read about a yellow head or jeweled eating a lion or a trigger there's always something else going on. Like a 2' jeweled right from the ocean and their feeding neglected with a 2" lion; go figure.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I like how the snowflakes look. I just want something odd. I think I am going to go with a flame angel as well. With a Toby puffer and a fuzzy lion. To go with the beta. I would love a radiata but I'm in FL and can't get them important.
:-(

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anglerfish would be cool predator to have in a tank this size! They don't take up much space either.

My favorite lionfish is the Fu Manchu Lionfish but I think that they can be hard to get nowadays. Especially here in Florida due to our lionfish import ban.

It's not really considered a predator but a puffer of some sort would be a fun addition as well, lots of personality in pufferfish.

I was able to go with a 90 instead of the 75. Do you thing another type of puffer would be be fine beside the tobby puffers?

Also do you thing there is a trigger that would do fine in the 90?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a stretch to put a trigger in a tank that small, maybe a humu, bursa, or blue throat trigger if you get a small one and let it grow in the tank, but even then they are rated for 125 gallon tanks.

It's gonna be the same story with anything besides a toby style puffer, dogfaces and porcupines get really big and need space for territory.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a stretch to put a trigger in a tank that small, maybe a humu, bursa, or blue throat trigger if you get a small one and let it grow in the tank, but even then they are rated for 125 gallon tanks.

It's gonna be the same story with anything besides a toby style puffer, dogfaces and porcupines get really big and need space for territory.

Yea that's what I was thinking. I guess I am kinda stuck with the lion, beta, flame angel, Lyretail Hogfish, toby puffer, timor wrasse, yellow eye kole tang, snowflake eel. what do you think of that stock list for the 90. to heavy or can I got heaver? I do have 30 gallon sump with a 20 gallon refugium.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's what I was thinking. I guess I am kinda stuck with the lion, beta, flame angel, Lyretail Hogfish, toby puffer, timor wrasse, yellow eye kole tang, snowflake eel. what do you think of that stock list for the 90. to heavy or can I got heaver? I do have 30 gallon sump with a 20 gallon refugium.
Might be a bit too heavy

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I was hoping to be able to add a few more fish. Like some more non reef safe wrasses.
I would stick with 5-6 fish you really like with at least two very active fish that will help clean up after everyone else. A Wrasse would be good at picking over the rocks and finding uneaten food and a bristltooth tang would be good at eating nuisance algae that might pop up.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this stocking capacity is fine. Just make sure the lon is a Dendrochirus species, as the larger lions will be capable of eating the Timor wrasse.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm going to do the dwarf zebra probably. I was looking at the radiata though supper nice. I live in Florida though so I can't import some kinds

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back