75gal lions den/fuge

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do yall think i added my yellow tang to my main reef and decided to add sand and some macro algea to my 75 predetor tank thats tied in on the system. since the tang is out of that tank now and the only livestock that will be housed in there is a fuzzy dawrf lion and my lion thats been with me for years. and i plan to add a 3rd lion. i think it would be realy neet to see them hangingabove the calurpa and in caves and the system would actually be a huge fuge. im starting the work on it now i hope to get some picks in a little while. any one have any input or ideas.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll be really cool... just make sure when you add the lions they are appropriate sizes... I've seen lions eat each other more than once.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i to was concerned with this my buddy threw is maybe 1 1/2 inch fuzzy dawrf in with my 4 or 5 inch lion and so far my lion doesnt even seem to notice him and when he does they kinda just go there own ways lol feeding time went allot smoother than i imagined it would. i just got done cleaning most of the glass in the tank only about a 3rd of the way through the back glass. that area of my system as been neglected and i think that if i have a ton of macro algea in there it would defenitly clean the water up and help it all as well as entertain me watching my lions eat

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think the success is a combo of a few things:

1. your larger lion is well fed (for the moment at least)
2. your larger lion isn't that large at only 4-5"
3. the smaller lion cannot fit into the larger lions mouth

Whatever it is, just make sure to keep the bigger guy well fed, and try to get the dwarf growing at a fasetr pace than the larger lion. IME predator reefs are really cool and some of my favorite, however after a year stocked generally something is large enough to eat everything else.

Post some pics if/when you get a chance as I love and miss my lions.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the suns is going down and the glare is almost gone the main reasoning behind doing this is to have the biological filter of a DSB fuge and macro alge field andthe area is larg and since at the moment its generally low flow untill after x mas i figure it would givve the tank kindof a spooky feeling all the algea covering things up giving places to blend and hide and no that anything in there could hurt you is fun when people come over and u start hand feeding them lol but i promise pics within the next couple hours but please dont laugh this part of my system as been a litle neglected since its in the fishroom and i work allot

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be shy about a dirty fish room. I'm sure most of us have some kind of an aquarium related mess somewhere. Anyone that doesn't is more than welcome to stop by my house and clean up mine if they want to. LOL

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man some of the junk in my fish room amazes even me man i have a spray bar setup and the thing is ive never even used a spray bar lol. i also have some truly old school stuff as well but yeah i decided that the neglect of one tank was causing an issue in the other so i thought it was renovation time im about to add my sand and miricale mud mix to the 2 inch sand band and place the rocks a little bit better lol and then once it settles ill get some shots of a few things

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep a lion in my sump and i removed him because of the waste produced by them. Having three lions in a "fuge" will look neat but it will cancel out the whole idea of the fuge. It will be like you have three fish that died in the tank every time you feed them, they create massive bioload. If you dont mind the fuge acting more as a display for your lions then id say go for it, they are wicked cool fish. They will eat other fish as mentioned, fish you would have thought were safe can be consumed in the blink of an eye.

100_2424.jpg

100_2418.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input i think i will be ok im running a ap bullet 2 skimmer with mrc beckeet injector also running ozone total water volume is around 200gal counting 20% for rock sand and sump level. also ive been getting stricter with my rutein in the main DT i have recently been adding sps and for the last 2 months ive seen nothing but growth and coler but im getting alge in all the dead spots throughout the system sine i only have the return going to the 75 aond 2 mj mods in my 125 with custom return line for the over flow i promise pics soon still working on a few things

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7401.jpg

I have three in my 30g and they are fine with others.... damsels and chromis are yummy to them though.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are neat! I had one for a time, in my refugium, which was fifteen gallons, but every time I tried to clean, he wanted near my hands, and I was afraid of him! :) I found him a good home with someone that wasn't such a fraidy cat! :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back