OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other wrasses and some similar fish as well. this would possibly include the Rainfords goby and Royal Gramma. In extreme cases with everything. One thing with fish is there is no hard and fast rule, just like people they have different temperaments and can be quite different from what is expected. I'm not trying to steer you away, just to be well advised and above all be ready to remove the offender if there is a problem with aggression.
do have ideas or tips to reduce aggression

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nothing that I can think of. One technique is to use a acclimation box when introducing a new fish. While this works short term it will do nothing to change the actual behaviour of the fish itself.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nothing that I can think of. One technique is to use a acclimation box when introducing a new fish. While this works short term it will do nothing to change the actual behaviour of the fish itself.
so its just down to luck if i get a nice naoko

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much, yes. Just remember, not all aggressive fish are aggressive and not all peaceful fish are peaceful not to mention that not all reef safe fish are reef safe and so on. Just do your homework, hope for the best but above all be preparred for the worst.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going naoko it should probably be the only wrasse in the 75g tank, I've heard they can be very aggressive. There is also a rule of numbers, with multiple wrasse to disperse the abuse across multiple fish but I think your problem there is going to be tank size.

I'm running a 75g 48x24x15" tank. It fills up quick! I feel I have a lot of fish and it's border line crowded:
1 bangaii cardinal
5 sunset anthias (1.4)
1 blue star leopard wrasse
1 moyeri leopard wrasse
1 cleaner wrasse
1 White tail tang

My last 2 fish coming out of QT now are
1 filamented flasher wrasse
1 pintail wrasse

I've been going back and forth like crazy over adding the last the fish. The tank is very busy as is and everytime you add a fish it changes the whole dynamic of the tank. If either wrasse has it out for the anthias they could end up hiding and make the tank less active ect.

It looks like you are planning ot run a heavily stocked tank. My tips for success for you would be:

1. QT all fish. The more fish in a tank the quicker parasites run rampant. There can also me more stress which can bring up issues like ick. So if you really want to pack your tank take the time to fully QT all fish. Personally I don't worry about ick, but I make sure velvet and flukes dont get in my DT. This will also give you time to see how the newbies interact, who becomes boss ect in the QT and how aggressive of a ruler they are. You may realize its not gonna work before they even hit your DT.
2. Use acclimation boxes to check behavior/interactions between existing fish and the newbies.
3. Add fish in groups of 3 or more. Specifically if you think your adding a fish that may not get along with an existing fish. This way one fish is not singled out. Ex: You have exquisite wrasse and want to add 2 more wrasse add them at once so the exquisite doesn't beat down one fish.
4. Feed heavier the week leading up to adding the new group. This will 1)Full fish tend to be less aggressive, there is less competition for food and 2) It starts to prep your tank for the added bioload.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going naoko it should probably be the only wrasse in the 75g tank, I've heard they can be very aggressive. There is also a rule of numbers, with multiple wrasse to disperse the abuse across multiple fish but I think your problem there is going to be tank size.

I'm running a 75g 48x24x15" tank. It fills up quick! I feel I have a lot of fish and it's border line crowded:
1 bangaii cardinal
5 sunset anthias (1.4)
1 blue star leopard wrasse
1 moyeri leopard wrasse
1 cleaner wrasse
1 White tail tang

My last 2 fish coming out of QT now are
1 filamented flasher wrasse
1 pintail wrasse

I've been going back and forth like crazy over adding the last the fish. The tank is very busy as is and everytime you add a fish it changes the whole dynamic of the tank. If either wrasse has it out for the anthias they could end up hiding and make the tank less active ect.

It looks like you are planning ot run a heavily stocked tank. My tips for success for you would be:

1. QT all fish. The more fish in a tank the quicker parasites run rampant. There can also me more stress which can bring up issues like ick. So if you really want to pack your tank take the time to fully QT all fish. Personally I don't worry about ick, but I make sure velvet and flukes dont get in my DT. This will also give you time to see how the newbies interact, who becomes boss ect in the QT and how aggressive of a ruler they are. You may realize its not gonna work before they even hit your DT.
2. Use acclimation boxes to check behavior/interactions between existing fish and the newbies.
3. Add fish in groups of 3 or more. Specifically if you think your adding a fish that may not get along with an existing fish. This way one fish is not singled out. Ex: You have exquisite wrasse and want to add 2 more wrasse add them at once so the exquisite doesn't beat down one fish.
4. Feed heavier the week leading up to adding the new group. This will 1)Full fish tend to be less aggressive, there is less competition for food and 2) It starts to prep your tank for the added bioload.
do you have a recommendation for a naoko replacement?

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i need to update the stock list I've decided against a bunch of the fish on the last list i made

new list
2 O.clownfish
1 captive bred rainford goby
1 diamond goby
1 or 2 yellow watchman goby with some type of pistol shrimp
1 starry blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 fairy wrasse of some type maybe not though
2 yellow/green clown goby
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 captive bred spotted mandarin
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
I may want to keep clams eventually
maybe different types of sessile worms

i don't care about keeping any sensitive corals just here for the fish and clams

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i need to update the stock list I've decided against a bunch of the fish on the last list i made

new list
2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 starry blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 fairy wrasse of some type maybe not though
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
maybe different types of sessile worms

i don't care about keeping any sensitive corals just here for the fish and clams
Personally I love splendid/pintail wrasse. They are peaceful and can be found around my area for $60 which isn't bad for a fairy. It's also a strong swimmer. Other fairies I've keep swim goofy in my opinion, like lineatus and rhomboids. My orange back go pretty big in my 180g but a cool and smaller wrasse that you don't see a lot is a yellow fin fairy. Similar body structure to a six line, great swimmer and stays small. It was peaceful for me as well. The downside to pintails in my experience is they are easily bullied by more aggressive fish. The blue flashers can be pretty dominant, the yellow fin is so fast I don't see it having an issue.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi, possums are bullied extremely easily. I had one shut down after adding two baby clowns. They chased him off the nem once and I never saw him again.
This is true and also will be a direct competitor for pods which presents a problem if you plan on the Mandarins.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so no possum wrasse
2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 starry blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 pintail fairy wrasse
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
clams
sessile worms
softies
maybe lps

does this seem ok

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so no possum wrasse
2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 starry blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 pintail fairy wrasse
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
clams
sessile worms
softies
maybe lps

does this seem ok
Heavily stocked but that looks like a pretty solid list to me. I'd add the flasher, pintail, coral beauty and starry blenny last.

Those only possible issue i see is between the blennies and maybe the coral beauty but if you have a lot of rockwork you should be okay.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavily stocked but that looks like a pretty solid list to me. I'd add the flasher, pintail, coral beauty and starry blenny last.

Those only possible issue i see is between the blennies and maybe the coral beauty but if you have a lot of rockwork you should be okay.
why do you think there would be issues between the blennies and the angel

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay this is just a ruff draft

2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 or 2 yasha/yellow watchman goby with some type of pistol shrimp
1 white tail bristle tooth tang
1 other tang(not sure what type)
1 starry/and or tailspot blenny
1 mccosker's flasher wrasse
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Naoko fairy wrasse
1 coral beauty angelfish
3 azure damsel???
2 bangii cardinal
1 exquisite firefish
1 royal gramma
2 neon goby
2 skunk cleaner shrimp

I'm not sure about the wrasses and the coral beauty and the clam(s)
Dude this is how many fish I’d put in 200g this is wayyyy overstocked. remove some wrasse only keep a single algae blenny. Your tang will fight with your blenny.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you think there would be issues between the blennies and the angel
Blennys and other algae eaters tend to fight. I’ve put in kole tangs and algae blennies multiple times in the same tank.. they always fight

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is how many fish I’d put in 200g this is wayyyy overstocked. remove some wrasse only keep a single algae blenny. Your tang will fight with your blenny.
Sorry didn’t see you new list though its still a heavy list.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN my experience angels do fine with blennys

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back