OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I’ll just leave it for now and maybe do the fan thing

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree with madweazl. My reef stays around 80F, but is has reached 82-83F for multiple days with no issues. If you can only pick between 76F and 81F, I wold pick 81F.

When I go diving the reefs look their most pristine in the winter months when the temps are around 77-79 deg and they always look their worst in the summer when the reefs are hot in 82-85 range. I have seen colonies of Zoa's just disappear from a reef after a summer and I come back to that same spot two years later in the winter and half of the colony has been restored. I am talking about 45ft across circular colonies.

Anyway no problems with 81 if that's what it always is. My comment mainly has to do with how fast can you prevent it from going up past a limit you are comfortable with. I have already had to do the 1am Bag Ice runs when my chiller failed. I would much rather be notified to an irregularity sooner than later.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go diving the reefs look their most pristine in the winter months when the temps are around 77-79 deg and they always look their worst in the summer when the reefs are hot in 82-85 range. I have seen colonies of Zoa's just disappear from a reef after a summer and I come back to that same spot two years later in the winter and half of the colony has been restored. I am talking about 45ft across circular colonies.

Anyway no problems with 81 if that's what it always is. My comment mainly has to do with how fast can you prevent it from going up past a limit you are comfortable with. I have already had to do the 1am Bag Ice runs when my chiller failed. I would much rather be notified to an irregularity sooner than later.

When I was in the Virgin islands the water temperature was over 80F but can't recall how high it went, I want to say 82F. The shallow areas were even hotter. The corals looked great, didn't see any signs of distress. I went back over the course of 3 days and the temperature was relatively the same. I feel the goal is gradual change and consistency. I would imagine there would be a lot more damage due to dramatic changes. You may have more experience then I do as this was all over the course of only 3 days.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Caribbean, reefs do fine anywhere from 68 to 84 degrees. As water warms up, it holds less oxygen. Metabolic rates increase with temperature. My tank is set to not go below 77.6 or over 78.4. You can run a tank at 80 degrees but you are closer to dangerous temperature.... 86 degrees.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in the Virgin islands the water temperature was over 80F but can't recall how high it went, I want to say 82F. The shallow areas were even hotter. The corals looked great, didn't see any signs of distress. I went back over the course of 3 days and the temperature was relatively the same. I feel the goal is gradual change and consistency. I would imagine there would be a lot more damage due to dramatic changes. You may have more experience then I do as this was all over the course of only 3 days.

Yes you really have to visit dive sites over a period of months or years to see the changes. Most of the really nice reefs I use to dive on have been decimated by the sudden temperature changes happening globally. It's gotten to a point where I go back to locations and I am not even sure if the boat is anchored at the right spot. From a garden of Eden to a brown desert.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Caribbean, reefs do fine anywhere from 68 to 84 degrees. As water warms up, it holds less oxygen. Metabolic rates increase with temperature. My tank is set to not go below 77.6 or over 78.4. You can run a tank at 80 degrees but you are closer to dangerous temperature.... 86 degrees.

Really!! I just dived there about 8 times this summer and the reefs are not doing all that fine!

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opinion and your right to have it, but....

like I said I see no issues at 84, but my tank typically sits at 80. I can cool it to 78 in an hour with a fan on the sump that kicks on when it gets to 82. If I hit 83 I know something is wrong. In my eyes and where I live, I see no problem with keeping my tank at what it wants to run at with no heater or chiller.
Strongly disagree at 82 all the sps I have bleached and the banghi went crazy and killed everything else in the tank at 84 your getting close to suffocating your tank water movement and agitation will not help oxygenated hot water as the hoter it get the less 02 is able to saturate

You wont find a reef under 80° in the summer and it isnt an issue; 81-82° are typically where the strongest growth happens in the wild IIRC.
Again you could not be more wrong I'm at 78 whether it's summer or winter

saying you won't find a reefer under 80 in the summer is just plain wrong

And some corals grow well that high of a temp mostly shallow water corals

The deeper stuff needs colder water

You need to specify what types of coral grow well at that high of the temp as it's not all coral it's some coral some can survive up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit for a short time

oxygen-solubility-water.png

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strongly disagree at 82 all the sps I have bleached and the banghi went crazy and killed everything else in the tank at 84 your getting close to suffocating your tank water movement and agitation will not help oxygenated hot water as the hoter it get the less 02 is able to saturate

You need to specify what types of coral grow well at that high of the temp as it's not all coral it's some coral some can survive up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit for a short time

This graph is a little misleading since you’re showing the temp range across an extreme. It actually shows that the oxygen solubility differs only very marginally at the small range of temps we are discussing here.

I think stability (as usual) is more important than any specific temperature in our hobby. If your corals are used to a range, try to stick to that range. Whether that is 75-80 or 80-85, people have success with both. The oxygen difference so often cited is largely irrelevant.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pretty sure they were referring to natural reefs hitting 80 in the summer, not aquariums.

Not sure what's going on with your tank, but a ton of people have kept tanks at 82 without an issue. To claim 82 is unacceptable based on your 1 data point is meaningless, there's a mountain of successful tanks on here running Temps in the 80's.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This graph is a little misleading since you’re showing the temp range across an extreme. It actually shows that the oxygen solubility differs only very marginally at the small range of temps we are discussing here.

I think stability (as usual) is more important than any specific temperature in our hobby. If your corals are used to a range, try to stick to that range. Whether that is 75-80 or 80-85, people have success with both. The oxygen difference so often cited is largely irrelevant.
Not sure what graph your looking at that shows ever temp from one extreme to the other including exactly what we are discussing here there is roughly a 5 percent difrence in o2 between 75 and 85 f that not small

And I will have to complealt disagree with you as you must not completely understand how coral breath

There is a thin layer of water around coral that is Stangnet and all o2 and nutrients have to pass this barrier so 5 percent is the difrence between living and dieing in alot of cases

I do completely agree that stability is key and if everything in your tank is happy then keep it there

But not all coral does well let alone survives at 82 I have deeper water sps for the most part which is exactly why it bleached the shalow sps I have still has alittle color but the ones from deeper are bad and the deepest water one I lost completely

And this is not 1 event this is the entire world Reefs do not do well at 82 the bleach very easily go diving from year to year like I do and see for yourself what going from 79ish to 82ish does to a reef long term

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back