Where do I go from here?

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently fallowing my tank for ich (pretty sure it was flukes but I’m doing 76 days just to be safe) at 79f. My fallow period ends in 36 days and I have a few issues in the DT. For one there is an aptasia problem brewing. I estimate about 6-7 mid/small ones and 3/4 large ones. My tank is a 3 year old 5ft tank so I’d think a copper band would be fine. If not I will try a file fish. I will be purchasing pre qt’d So my questions were:

1: should I get the copper band/file fish first?

2: running low on my CUC and I plan to possible purchase some from Dr.Reef and/or reef cleaners. Due to me having 36 days left would I not be a good idea on adding inverts I need/want? If the places I are an invert only vendor(reef cleaners) or sell fallowed inverts(Dr.Reef) would I reset my 76 days if I purchase something before the 76 days is over?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let the tank run the full fallow and Mayb some berghias. Only after the full fallow would I then add conditioned and fully QT fish from a verified source. I’m in NJ so I use TSM. No exp w others.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the tank run the full fallow and Mayb some berghias. Only after the full fallow would I then add conditioned and fully QT fish from a verified source. I’m in NJ so I use TSM. No exp w others.
Two thumbs
I’ve also used reef cleaners and added some snails and other inverts without issues via unwanted nasty. Quality stuff from John
Or while you are at Reef Cleaners cop some peppermint shrimp for $6.50 (vs $15 everywhere else)

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have corals in the DT. I might only need about 2 of them

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a countable amount of aiptasia then just boil them away. Use a syringe with a cup of boiled water and inject it in them. The larger more stubborn ones you can hit with 2 or 3 injections, but the smaller ones melt away with just one.
Without a real infestation, getting an animal to address it isn't that helpful since they will run out of food and go after something else.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or while you are at Reef Cleaners cop some peppermint shrimp for $6.50 (vs $15 everywhere else)
This.
You'll be going fallow so I would add them now. They are beautiful creatures when mature. I keep some in all of my tanks. I have overflows full of aiptasia but rarely see any in the DT. I have a copperband in a tank that also keeps aiptasia at bay. Only problem with them is finding one that is eating or having the time and a set up to house the fish until you get it fat and healthy before introducing it to the DT. CBB is a fish I would probably not buy online pre quarantined or not. I would want to see it in person but that might just be me.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any anemones or tentacle style lps?

Think my peppermint likes to tank a chunk of one of my acans mouths every now and then, hard to catch them being jerks at night. Fair enough, I think its only when hes starving.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any anemones or tentacle style lps?

Think my peppermint likes to tank a chunk of one of my acans mouths every now and then, hard to catch them being jerks at night. Fair enough, I think its only when hes starving.
It’s 100% aptasia but it does have a mouth with is interesting

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.
You'll be going fallow so I would add them now. They are beautiful creatures when mature. I keep some in all of my tanks. I have overflows full of aiptasia but rarely see any in the DT. I have a copperband in a tank that also keeps aiptasia at bay. Only problem with them is finding one that is eating or having the time and a set up to house the fish until you get it fat and healthy before introducing it to the DT. CBB is a fish I would probably not buy online pre quarantined or not. I would want to see it in person but that might just be me.
Yes but I’m already 35 days away from the End of my fallow period so that would just end it right?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I’m already 35 days away from the End of my fallow period so that would just end it right?
Oops didn't catch that sorry. My understanding is it would reset the clock with anything wet added. I think there is new consensus that a shorter fallow period is considered effective.
Info here if your interested.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back