Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good reminder to feed variety so fish will accept a wide range of foods. I know my LFS was almost out of LRS and other frozen foods during the pandemic for awhile.

You could always culture white worms if you still want to offer worms and grow your own.

I loved being able to offer black worms a few times a week so here is to hoping they come back eventually.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest you continue to offer a variety of foods. When they get hungry, they'll eat.
Thanks Ron, I’m hoping so.

I ordered blackworms from Eastern Aquatics as recently as two weeks ago. They are limiting really big orders somewhat, but I got a 1/2lb with no problems. They arrived in great condition...
I may order, I’m just nervous because I’m down in Miami and I think they will roast in the mail trucks.

Probably a good reminder to feed variety so fish will accept a wide range of foods. I know my LFS was almost out of LRS and other frozen foods during the pandemic for awhile.
For sure a good reminder. I had no clue that One place in California supplies all the shops. I just gave up un other foods because all my fish loved them and I could gut load the worms. But now I know the dangers of having spoiled fish.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They send them packed in ice and an insulated styro. I’ve gotten them delivered in 90 degree summer weather with no problems.
Thanks SDK. That puts my mind at ease.
I will put an order in tomorrow if any of my fish don’t eat tomorrow.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron, I’m hoping so.

I may order, I’m just nervous because I’m down in Miami and I think they will roast in the mail trucks.

For sure a good reminder. I had no clue that One place in California supplies all the shops. I just gave up un other foods because all my fish loved them and I could gut load the worms. But now I know the dangers of having spoiled fish.

When there is a bad heatwave in cali, the worms actually don't reproduce well and sometimes they are not available for awhile because of that as well.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish eat so many worms you should think about culturing them. @Paul B choose whiteworms because they live longer in saltwater than blackworms. Super easy.
Keep them damp, under 80 degrees. Feed them whole wheat bread, I use stale bread and put some full fatted, no sugar, no flavor yogurt on it. It will take a month or more to get enough to harvest.
Make sure to completely cover the food in soil or it will grow "hair" very shortly.

Keep them pretty wet but not waterlogged. Replace the food when they finish it.
When you get a lot of them, put a piece of plastic on the dirt and put the food under it. The worms will cling to the plastic so you can harvest them.

I feed them a few times a week and as long as each fish gets a couple of worms, thats good.
You don't need or want the worms to be their entire food. And don't worry if you get some dirt in your tank. You want the bacteria on ans in the worms and dirt.
Good Luck

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frozen foods have been in VERY high demand since February. We have scaled up production and are still shipping to all of our retailers with no interruptions. If you are trying to get your fish to feed on something other than live blackworms, trying a food with diverse ingredients may help as suggested above. Our "Fish Frenzy" blend has fish eggs, blackworms, polychaete worms, whole clams, and more for finicky eaters. (Our supplier has had shortages of blackworms as well.) Good luck!

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 11.56.10 AM.png

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to culture white worms-grindall worms specifically- because I couldn’t get black worms in Canada. The grindall are pretty easy to culture.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get blackworms where I live now so I raise whiteworms. Very cheap starter culture and I have been raising them for years for practically nothing. They stay alive in saltwater almost 5 days.
Of course I use LRS food every day also.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen foods have been in VERY high demand since February. We have scaled up production and are still shipping to all of our retailers with no interruptions. If you are trying to get your fish to feed on something other than live blackworms, trying a food with diverse ingredients may help as suggested above. Our "Fish Frenzy" blend has fish eggs, blackworms, polychaete worms, whole clams, and more for finicky eaters. (Our supplier has had shortages of blackworms as well.) Good luck!

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 11.56.10 AM.png

Thanks,
I’m gonna find a store that carries this and try. Looks like a fantastic blend!

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. I've only got about a weeks worth of black worms left. Checked my two LFS today and both are out and have been for a while :mad: No way wife would sign off on white worms. Barley tolerates black worms. Luckily my finickiest fish, the CBB, eats Mysis, brine, clam and picks through LRS. Hopfully the east coast supplier comes through.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. I've only got about a weeks worth of black worms left. Checked my two LFS today and both are out and have been for a while :mad: No way wife would sign off on white worms. Barley tolerates black worms. Luckily my finickiest fish, the CBB, eats Mysis, brine, clam and picks through LRS. Hopfully the east coast supplier comes through.
My better half would never give ok for white worms in the cabinet. Already complains about the smell of the tanks, I can only imagine if worms were outside the fridge, it would not go well. I barely got by with black worms in the fridge.
You are smart having a backup, and feeding a diverse diet.
I went to a LFS that carries Fish Frenzy and my pickiest eater ate it. A couple others that are not as picky did not, but I blame that on it being lighter color and the worms they are used to being dark, they are eating other frozen food, so If I mix, hopefully everyone will be fat and happy.
I think my problem is now solved.

Thanks you to everyone that helped!

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update everyone, I went to a local store that had LRS Fish Frenzy, and Orchid Dottyback loves it. This was the pickiest one that never ate any food other than the worms. I am also feeding TDO chromaboost pellets because the clown loves that.

Today, clown is eating Fish Frenzy and Dottyback is eating pellets so their diets have expanded. I will forever more use a varied diet in quarantine.

Thank you all for the help you provided. Every fish is still fat, and almost as happy as when they only ate live blackworms;)

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear everything is working out for you and I wish you continued success!
Thank you for the amazing product. And your good wishes.
I’ve tried a lot of different frozen foods and yours was the only one my orchid dottyback ever ate.
Thanks again!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back