8 Gallon SPS Frag Tank

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the six line in my 120 to rid it of bristle worms and he/she was fantastic. It would charge at other inhabitants on occasion but never any harm done. It was painful finding it stuck in mesh and couldn't be saved.

Re: fish in frag tank - I don't think so with it so shallow and topless.

My other 2 tanks are pretty much on cruise control. Both are monitored off a single Apex and I spend maybe just over an hour per Sunday testing, cleaning skimmers, cleaning ATO sensors, filling ATOs and cleaning glass. It's pretty much routine these days. Both are on dosers and auto feeders so during the week I just sit back and enjoy them.

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the six line in my 120 to rid it of bristle worms and he/she was fantastic. It would charge at other inhabitants on occasion but never any harm done. It was painful finding it stuck in mesh and couldn't be saved.

Re: fish in frag tank - I don't think so with it so shallow and topless.

My other 2 tanks are pretty much on cruise control. Both are monitored off a single Apex and I spend maybe just over an hour per Sunday testing, cleaning skimmers, cleaning ATO sensors, filling ATOs and cleaning glass. It's pretty much routine these days. Both are on dosers and auto feeders so during the week I just sit back and enjoy them.

I never got into the auto dosing and feeding. I'll have to look into that for my next big tank, as well as getting a bigger ATO reservoir. As far as the fish go though: I understand it has plenty of room for fish to jump out and a pink streaked wrasse would probably be the likely candidate. But, do you think throwing reef roids and such in it would produce enough NO3 and PO4 to keep it healthy with it being so sterile without detritus? I have been contemplating this...

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on using EasySPS gel for the corals in frag tank or the powdered version.

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update: tested my water tonight and am getting readings of 0 Ammonia and 2 Nitrate - off to a good start!
I also built a little 2 level media basket for the overflow chamber. Top shelf will have filter floss... but haven't decided on what to put in the lower level, suggestions?
image2 - Copy.jpeg
image1 - Copy.jpeg

Lastly, here is a picture with the blues and the intensity turned down a bit so hopefully it is a bit easier to look at.

image0 - Copy.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kids convinced me to get a fish today. Presenting "Goldie" the Midnight Clown. Hopefully you can see him in these pictures. I got the smallest one that they had and if he doesn't work out in this tank then I will put him in my other. I added a couple pieces of purple PVC for places for him to hide temporarily until these is more coral in this tank.
image0 - Copy (2).jpeg
image2 - Copy (2).jpeg

I also added a pink Birdsnest that caught my eye while buying "Goldie". It was cheap and they're pretty hardy, so I figured I'd throw it in there to "test the waters" so to speak with it being such a new tank.

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Not really much going on with the frag tank. I took some parameters a few minutes ago and Nitrates are reading zero, PO4 - not sure as I have to hunt for the vials for my Hanna reader, and my Alk test is giving me some crazy low readings. Everything seems to be thriving; however, I have seemed to stop getting film algae on my glass since starting doing water changes of 4 cups every other day. I think I will cut those back to see if I can pick the nutrients up. The birdsnest was in pretty rough shape when I purchased it with no polyp extension, color, and burnt tips. It is now showing polyps all over and is getting its color back!
You all are going to hate me for this next one: I had to break down a transition tank I had; so, now my frag tank is full of torch and chalice corals frags that I had to make out of the colonies from the other tank. I promise - I will have all SPS in here at some point! Just need to get these guys moved first - so, if you know anyone in my area, tell them to hit me up for some cheap frags that need to go!
On the topic of the transition tank that I had made when I was redoing my floors in all of the rest of the downstairs - besides this nasty kitchen tile. I set up this 20L, and 6 months later, I finally got around to breaking it down. I finally got motivated to break it down when I lost my 3 year old tuxedo urchin. Poor guy, he served me so well through the years and I came to expect his spines sticking me every time I changed my filter socks barehanded over the years.
IMG_3587.jpg

So 2am and a few adult beverages in - I was ready to tear down this tank!
IMG_3589.jpg

A messy floor later
IMG_3588.jpg

thank god the wife was asleep and didn't see this before I had time to clean it up!
Finally, a counter top I can use again!

60283894071__23943981-8D61-41AA-9619-7CE4C2BDED79.JPG

Thanks for looking!
Hopefully I'll get some FTS's in the next couple days!

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well in the tank. It is still filled with a bunch of LPS that I'm hoping to move soon. Been having a problem with low pH - so, I added some Kalkwasser to my ATO resivoir tonight.
Hoping to add some Acros in the coming weeks!
Hoping to get some pictures tomorrow evening!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back