8 months old Anthia suddenly died with internal hemorrhage.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 10+week 3%H2O2 dosing day and night in SEP-NOV2022 for Ick management. Didn’t work for me, I removed the all substrate and rocks, and went ahead for a 30day Copper Power @ 2.5ppm followed by a 3 weekly dose of PraziPRO @ 2.5ppm (NOV-JAN 2023).

IMG_7049.jpeg

The display remained as it is till date with fishes under observation for any oddities. About 2 weeks ago, I found a Anthia that with me for over 9 months, suddenly hid in a corner, didn’t bother to go after feed too. I didn’t take notice then of any sores or change of color, plus it’s well shaped (fat).

Today I found it dead with an internal hemorrhage at the head area. (Graphic Warning: I cut up the fish).

IMG_7252.jpeg
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7253.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

@Jay Hemdal @Dierks if you do recall my tank above, is there anything I should do now in terms of medication, whilst the display is still in the state of FOWPVC, before I in process the rock works and corals.

Thanks in advance. IMG_7254.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did a 10+week 3%H2O2 dosing day and night in SEP-NOV2022 for Ick management. Didn’t work for me, I removed the all substrate and rocks, and went ahead for a 30day Copper Power @ 2.5ppm followed by a 3 weekly dose of PraziPRO @ 2.5ppm (NOV-JAN 2023).

IMG_7049.jpeg

The display remained as it is till date with fishes under observation for any oddities. About 2 weeks ago, I found a Anthia that with me for over 9 months, suddenly hid in a corner, didn’t bother to go after feed too. I didn’t take notice then of any sores or change of color, plus it’s well shaped (fat).

Today I found it dead with an internal hemorrhage at the head area. (Graphic Warning: I cut up the fish).

IMG_7252.jpeg
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7253.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

@Jay Hemdal @Dierks if you do recall my tank above, is there anything I should do now in terms of medication, since the display is still in the state of FOWPVC, before I in process the rock works and corals.

This fish appears to have a disease common With damsels-chromis and anthias known as uronema which is an oval ciliated protozoan which is a pathogen which develops and prefers low salinity levels as well as warmer tank temperature with elevated organic levels. Prevention is key by keeping good water quality monitoring water with reliable test kits and removing uneaten food as well.
Peroxide is not the best ich management method as was suggested years ago and may or may not have played a part in fish contracting this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7049.jpeg

IMG_7252.jpeg
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7253.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

@Jay Hemdal @Dierks if you do recall my tank above, is there anything I should do now in terms of medication, whilst the display is still in the state of FOWPVC, before I in process the rock works and corals.

While this lesion does resemble Uronema, I have some doubts:

So the anthias went off feed and hid, and then died two weeks later? That isn't typically what Uronema does though - it usually involves newly acquired fish, and the fish show the lesion first, then die a short time later.

No other fish show any symptoms, so I would not rush to treat the whole tank, this may be an isolated case.

Jay

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y’all. I was fearing URONEMA. But for it to happen on a 8-9months old fish, I am puzzled, could URONEMA emerged from the MATRIX and SIPORAX, because these 2 media was in SUMP during Copper and Prazi QT. Also I have a properly sized and maintained UV running 24/7 between the sump and the bare bottom display.

Well, I hope it’s an isolated case as per Jay’s observation. Cheers!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y’all. I was fearing URONEMA. But for it to happen on a 8-9months old fish, I am puzzled, could URONEMA emerged from the MATRIX and SIPORAX, because these 2 media was in SUMP during Copper and Prazi QT. Also I have a properly sized and maintained UV running 24/7 between the sump and the bare bottom display.

Well, I hope it’s an isolated case as per Jay’s observation. Cheers!

Uronema is a facultative protozoan parasite, not an obligate parasite. They are found free living in most aquariums (I've heard numbers ranging to 25 to 75% of established aquariums have Uronema in them). The parasitic, internal inter-cellular form is strange, nobody knows how/why it gets inside the fish, but it seems to always be newly acquired fish.

I don't think there is any risk from the filter media transfer for Uronema.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back