8 years, 2 months, and 20 days and I'm back!

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Update

Fish are adjusting well now. Noticed them swimming around together and using more space in the tank (10g). Not quite used to me yet they still hide when I get near. I am still feeding twice a day although I have not seen them actively eat while I am in front of the tank. Ammonia was a bit high (2.0)last night(naturally from the leftover food). I am siphoning out any scraps leftover with a baster. Did a 20% wc with 1.025 sw. Tank was currently at .22. Still hoping to slowly increase the salinity back to normal. Is it concerning that they still aren't actively eating right when I feed? Have fed by hand and with baster and see no difference in reaction.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very important that they eat maybe change up the food. I really like Rod's but any quality frozen food should get them eating.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Update

Well early on I am getting a kick in the face. Came home to find one of the Anthias permanently hiding under the pvc! 1 Down. 2 to go. The one that passed I noticed was not schooling with the other two and seemed isolated. Not sure if this affects health issues although my ammonia was high last night before my water change and again when I came home. I did a 25% change just now making sure to siphon out any food particles visible with 1.023 water . Tank salinity was 1.022. Added carbon cartridge and ammonia remover filter floss. Not feeding again until the morning.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Update

Not a great start for me. Lost another Anthias last night only one left. It is the largest and hardiest of the 3. Ammonia has spiked fairly high despite my water changes. I'm think 20% was still not enough even though I had been doing them daily for a few days. I can hear my wife now. "Are you sure you wanna spend that much on your first set of fish" This is not proving any case of mine to get investment approval from the boss.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I was feeding too much? Not changing enough water? Or was 3 too much to soon for the QT? It was only 10g.
Anyone?

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting finaky picky eaters like anthias maybe it's a good idea to have 1 fish that eats actively in qt with them to help break the ice and maybe speed up the feeding process for them. Seeing another fish eat the food may inspire them to eat it is what I'm saying

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the opposite side Sugarland/Stafford. Next fish you buy make sure you see them eat before you get them.
Like minded for sure. That's the thing. My LFS got them in on a Tuesday and acclimated them. I came by Wed to check them out and watched them feed and then picked them up Thursday. They all looked healthy and hungry. Just went downhill from there.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks if you were a bit closer I would come by and see if I could help you out. I do get up on that side of town pretty regularly but always during the day and usually just to do a job and leave to the next one.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks if you were a bit closer I would come by and see if I could help you out. I do get up on that side of town pretty regularly but always during the day and usually just to do a job and leave to the next one.
Well if you ever feel like coming by I will have a couple cold ones to share. I would very much enjoy the fellowship and convo. Even on a weekend if available. I would def return the favor and come out your way.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Update

Big Hoss Anthi still going strong. Had done a change this morning before work after removing one of the sacrificial ( I only use this as a metaphor I had no intent or acceptance for using these or any fish for "testers") I know this happens sometimes. Anyway, my LFS gave me a replacement to try and offered to foster if the tank it still too unstable. Great guy! Trying a small disbar in the 5g. It is a virgin tank as never having any fish in it. It will be the only fish in it for now. Same with the other just my last Randall. Back to Basics!!

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449624959.418279.jpg

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449674576.923441.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449674589.599445.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449674600.195294.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449674620.615138.jpg

A look at my color changing LEDs under the hood. Full spectrum color options. Fade in program and constant options.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as history repeats itself I have lost my final Anthias tonight. The only solid evidence I have is an ammonia spike of about 2.5 within a few days which I'm almost positive was the cause. I thought I had taken all the proper steps along the way but now I know I must have missed something! Back to the board. I still have one Disbar Anthias in my 5g just introduced yesterday. It is swimming strong and eating. Not in front of me but while I peer from a distance. A new beginning!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back