Sailfin died in QT. What went wrong?

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first QT death today and I’m trying to figure out where I went wrong. Bought a small Sailfin tang and diamond goby from trusted source 4 hrs away. My 10g QT wasn’t running so floated bags in DT sump and did 8 gallon water change. DT has been running ~4 yrs and is healthy. Put DT water in QT, started up HOB filter w sponges (that live in DT sump). Put big live rock w algae on it and pan of sand that had been sitting on a shelf for a year in QT. Temp: 78, SG: 35
No copper or meds. Just DT water

Acclimated fish w DT water over 45 min. Using my usual method: take some water out of bag, put DT water in. Did this 3x. Didn’t check SG in bag but I had only done this once before (for my Copperband) so didn’t think it would matter much.

Poured fish into QT w minimal bag water. Next morning (Thurs) both were perky. Tang was munching on rock algae. Both took some frozen Mysis. Noticed same up until yesterday. Neither seemed as interested in food but both seemed to eat some live white worms and, later, some Mysis.

This morning (Sunday) tang is dead. Goby is ok and eating Mysis I just put in. Ammonia badge consistently reading 0. Temp and SG are same as Wednesday

Thoughts?
IMG_5986.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might have been a big salinity change from the bag to the aquarium. it might have got to close to the heaters maybe too. how did it look this morning when you found it? any marks, spots or skin discoloration?

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might have been a big salinity change from the bag to the aquarium. it might have got to close to the heaters maybe too. how did it look this morning when you found it? any marks, spots or skin discoloration?
Ya, I’m regretting not dealing w possible salinity swing. No obvious marks on fish ☹️

Attachments

• IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 11

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I’m regretting not dealing w possible salinity swing. No obvious marks on fish ☹️
sorry for the loss. it's always a good idea to check the salinity of the packaged water and drip acclimate until the salinity matches the aquarium water

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Match salinity of QT to the bag water, float to match temperature. Open bag and transfer fish to tank. Straight into 2.0 copper for me.

I use a plastic colander to move the fish and don’t add bag water to QT.

Note that rock can absorb medication. A little sand is ok.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry for the loss. it's always a good idea to check the salinity of the packaged water and drip acclimate until the salinity matches the aquarium water
Drip acclimating risks ammonia poisoning in shipped fish. Going from a salinity to a lower salinity is safe, but going to a higher salinity needs slow acclimation. A benefit of QT is you can simply change it to match the bag and get them straight into meds.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimating risks ammonia poisoning in shipped fish. Going from a salinity to a lower salinity is safe, but going to a higher salinity needs slow acclimation. A benefit of QT is you can simply change it to match the bag and get them straight into meds.
hense the drip acclimation. I wouldn't change my qt tank water to match the salinity level of the bag it came in. I would change the bag water to match my qt tank water

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hense the drip acclimation. I wouldn't change my qt tank water to match the salinity level of the bag it came in. I would change the bag water to match my qt tank water
Rather than us disagree, I recommend @taulgrl read this article by someone more knowledgeable than both of us. :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think salinity change was what cause the demise of your tang. If this is the case, the fish will be in trouble right away.
These are not the cause:
1. Salinity changes
2. Shipping capture trauma (this does not rule out trauma the hours before he died)
3. O2 drop (you have a hang on back filter with water flow back into the tank, which mean enough surface agitation)
4. Ammonia or toxin (or else the Goby also in trouble)

T have no idea why your tang died. Maybe he has some diseases that we don't know.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than us disagree, I recommend @taulgrl read this article by someone more knowledgeable than both of us. :)

I'm with you with that. no point in disagreeing about our own processes, better to get advice from someone with way more knowledge than either of us

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think salinity change was what cause the demise of your tang. If this is the case, the fish will be in trouble right away.
These are not the cause:
1. Salinity changes
2. Shipping capture trauma (this does not rule out trauma the hours before he died)
3. O2 drop (you have a hang on back filter with water flow back into the tank, which mean enough surface agitation)
4. Ammonia or toxin (or else the Goby also in trouble)

T have no idea why your tang died. Maybe he has some diseases that we don't know.
Thanks! To add to the puzzle, the tang had been at the lfs for at least two weeks so shipping trauma prob not a factor.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back