Not sure what the H is going on

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago we found some ich spots on our blue tang. It shortly spread over to our sailfin tang. We QT'd both of them with our porcupine puffer who was in qt after we bought him from the LFS.

Three days later we found ich spots on two of our clowns and the royal gamma. QT'd them also in a seperate tank.

Last Monday we woke up to a dying puffer and dead sailfin. That night the puffer was a gonner to.ugh.. which we had been fighting to keep him for days, he was up and down for about a week.

A side note, none of the other fish came up with ich. We have a red mandrin, green mandrin, lawnmower blenny, two Darwin clowns, diamond goby and a bunch of coral that stayed after removing the fish that came up with ich.

So, this past Monday I walked by my tank and noticed the diamond goby at the back corner, didn't think much of it until I realized something wasn't right. Sure enough when I looked again he was laying upside down, not moving barley breathing. Seeing as how we lost the sailfin and puffer a week prior I started freaking out. Got him out, put some tank water from a different aquarium in a medium sized Tupperware, added some ich treatment (I didn't think it would hurt at this point) and a bubbler. He was floating around in the Tupperware looking dead. Left him in there overnight and the next morning he was at the bottom of the Tupperware and nothing but his gills were moving. Sounds bad but it was progress from what I found. Put the goby in a qt tank and left him most of the week. He seemed paralyzed to be honest. Everyday he had a little more movement. Yesterday afternoon we put him back in the reef.

Today, I found a dead cleaner shrimp randomly laying on the pectina. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or nature is just being nature. Any advice, input or help otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has diseases. Ich ,velvet or something. You need to read about how to rid your fish of it in QT tanks. Then read about letting your tank be fallow for a long time to be sure all of it is gone before adding any fish back to the tank

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a good time to consider a UV sterilizer. Not a cure all, but it can help to keep disease at bay. Personally I QT fish without any medication. Just observation and getting them nice and fat. A healthy fish fights disease better. Good luck. Don’t give up

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lapin. Sounds like ich or velvet.
Hard to tell and would need a lot more information to help.

Might be better to post in the disease forum.

Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis

Any pictures?
Age of the tank?
Water Parameters?
Parameters are good.
Calcium is 430
Magnesium 1410
Nitrates 2
Phosphates 0

Tank was started October 17th 2023 so almost 6 months.

Have a 24/7 UV light on it so I'm not skipping there, already learned my lesson with an alge bloom.

My wife has a theory that the goby was stung by the tube anemone, we used to watch him sift the sand way to close to the anemone and sometimes when he got to close he would get stung and he would jolt a little but go back to business. The cleaner shrimp was also dead in very close proximity to the tube anemone. I don't see how all of a sudden the anemone became a murder!! So not sure if that's what it is or not.

We have also read the ich is almost always present in saltwater aquariums but the fish's immune system is usually strong enough to fight it off. Is that accurate? I also wonder why the 7 fish in there now aren't seemingly effected by it.

Attachments

• 20240308_144737.jpg
    20240308_144737.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240308_144745.jpg
    20240308_144745.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240308_144733.jpg
    20240308_144733.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240308_144726.jpg
    20240308_144726.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 22

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the limited coral in the tank it may be easier to move them to a seperate tank if indeed ich. Then you can run hypo salinity to rid yourself of the ich once and for all.

While some do manage ich as you've mentioned it's not the norm, and usually only done in very mature systems with an extensive diet. Even then, this is not a proven method by any means. The most common methods are quarantine with copper or hyposalinity.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read through this and provide all the requested information. I'll tag some experts that know much better than I do.

@MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the limited coral in the tank it may be easier to move them to a seperate tank if indeed ich. Then you can run hypo salinity to rid yourself of the ich once and for all.

While some do manage ich as you've mentioned it's not the norm, and usually only done in very mature systems with an extensive diet. Even then, this is not a proven method by any means. The most common methods are quarantine with copper or hyposalinity.
Can you explain this? Move everything or just the fish?

Induce hyposalinity to the fish not the corals right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Parameters are good.
Calcium is 430
Magnesium 1410
Nitrates 2
Phosphates 0

Tank was started October 17th 2023 so almost 6 months.

Have a 24/7 UV light on it so I'm not skipping there, already learned my lesson with an alge bloom.

My wife has a theory that the goby was stung by the tube anemone, we used to watch him sift the sand way to close to the anemone and sometimes when he got to close he would get stung and he would jolt a little but go back to business. The cleaner shrimp was also dead in very close proximity to the tube anemone. I don't see how all of a sudden the anemone became a murder!! So not sure if that's what it is or not.

We have also read the ich is almost always present in saltwater aquariums but the fish's immune system is usually strong enough to fight it off. Is that accurate? I also wonder why the 7 fish in there now aren't seemingly effected by it.
Please provide video
Pics are quite fuzzy
Is fish breathing and eating normal?
Most fish can be resistant but not immune from disease
How are you testing levels?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think much more information is required to help you. And as Jekyll said - if you could add the information from the link?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain this? Move everything or just the fish?

Induce hyposalinity to the fish not the corals right?
Now that the experts are here, it's best to work with them. I'm just trying to help the process along.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that the experts are here, it's best to work with them. I'm just trying to help the process along.
you're an expert too. A bubble by ones name does not define an expert
IMHO

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing after ich once fish loss has begun is very frustrating/difficult. Even effective treatments take time to work, and fish will just be getting sicker.

Can you post a clear video of the remaining fish?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back