What is this on the glass of my QT

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Purple Tang it QT now for 8 days and have dosed Prazi as a precaution. I have my QT seeded with a sponge filter from the sump as well as a few Marinepure bio-balls. Last night I dosed a little microbacter7 in the QT because I had it out for my DT and figured I’d throw a few MLs in the QT. Then today I come down and have this on the glass. At first I thought copepods but I’ve never seen them group like this. Is this some sort of worm/fluke/etc? The picture is obviously zoomed in a good bit.

IMG_7304.jpeg IMG_7303.jpeg IMG_7305.jpeg IMG_7306.jpeg

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re all over other parts of the glass but on this particular spot are grouped up. They sorta look like copepods when they aren’t in that big glob

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of fluke or worms. It would worry me, only because I don't see anything like that in my display or sump. Detritus worms ? Do a search in the site, it may give some results.

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this game from the DT. The media and sponge have been in the QT for a few weeks. I’m only worried about what it is for the sake of QT and if I need to treat the tang for anything that Prazi wouldn’t handle

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Purple Tang it QT now for 8 days and have dosed Prazi as a precaution. I have my QT seeded with a sponge filter from the sump as well as a few Marinepure bio-balls. Last night I dosed a little microbacter7 in the QT because I had it out for my DT and figured I’d throw a few MLs in the QT. Then today I come down and have this on the glass. At first I thought copepods but I’ve never seen them group like this. Is this some sort of worm/fluke/etc? The picture is obviously zoomed in a good bit.

IMG_7304.jpeg IMG_7303.jpeg IMG_7305.jpeg IMG_7306.jpeg
Those look like free living worms of some sort, but I’ve never seen them in such large numbers. They aren’t flukes as those are never seen living off of a fish. I don’t see eyespots, so you can rule out some other worms like turbellarians. Nematodes are usually longer than this.

These are detritus/uneaten food eaters, so siphon the tank bottom and suck these out at the same time, just to reduce their numbers. Be sure not to leave uneaten food in the tank.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back