Fish in quarantine dying

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me those are the two most logical reasons of death of the two fish.
Stress on its own won’t kill, it will make the fish more susceptible to pathogens.

Really, ask the LFS their salinity and let us know. ;) I try to limit salinity rise to 0.003 per day max. Anything more than that and some fish may not physiologically tolerate it. For example if your LFS runs 1.018 and you put them into 1.026… they can die of dehydration.

Otherwise I agree with above… ammonia or velvet or brook would be first guesses.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do full prophylaxis. Copper and metronidazole, two treatments of praziquantel is the bare minimum. My 250G system has been disease free for 4 years and it’s great! It is a lot of work and expense though.

I suggest finding a comprehensive guide that you find practical from someone you trust rather than piece together random advice. I like the humble.fish guides.

Here is my current quarantine. He eats like a pig.

IMG_7958.jpeg
@kenchilada @vetteguy53081 Can Prazi be used with copper or should I clear out the copper from my QT tank first? I was reading the label for Prazi online and it did not list copper as a contraindication. I have four fish going through copper QT right now and want to put them through two rounds of Prazi but want to do it in the right way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@kenchilada @vetteguy53081 Can Prazi be used with copper or should I clear out the copper from my QT tank first? I was reading the label for Prazi online and it did not list copper as a contraindication. I have four fish going through copper QT right now and want to put them through two rounds of Prazi but want to do it in the right way.
No, do not mix. Copper has stabilizers and Prazi has glycol. Do the copper regimen, do a good water change and switch to Prazi

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, do not mix. Copper has stabilizers and Prazi has glycol. Do the copper regimen, do a good water change and switch to Prazi
Will do! My reefkeeping notes say not to mix copper and Prazi but wanted to double check after reading the Prazi label. Thank you for the help and explanation!

OP
OP
Z

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress on its own won’t kill, it will make the fish more susceptible to pathogens.

Really, ask the LFS their salinity and let us know. ;) I try to limit salinity rise to 0.003 per day max. Anything more than that and some fish may not physiologically tolerate it. For example if your LFS runs 1.018 and you put them into 1.026… they can die of dehydration.

Otherwise I agree with above… ammonia or velvet or brook would be first guesses.
That makes sense. I really don’t think it was ammonia, but it seems like the most logical explanation other then the fact that I never detected any with three different tests. I will check with the LFS to see what their salinity is. So if you said it’s tolerable to go from higher to lower, is it better to run the salinity lower in my quarantine tank?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if you said it’s tolerable to go from higher to lower, is it better to run the salinity lower in my quarantine tank?

I would follow a guide to start rather than trust any one person’s anecdotal advice!

But… here is what I do. I base salinity off the bag water and then raise to match my display during observation period (ie after prophylaxis). Others here will likely have a better answer for you, but my thinking is raising salinity may trigger some pathogen that was being suppressed. If it’s 1.020+ I don’t worry about it till later. First priority is therapeutic copper ASAP. I haven’t come across any good reason to behave differently.

Certain methods might advise a specific salinity range. I believe TTM calls for 1.020+, and hypo has its own rules, etc. Those methods are useful at times.

But running lower salinity in QT does save serious money on salt when doing TTM! :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back