Coral only tank / quarantine cycling

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am wondering if there are any issues with my plan. I just purchased a tank to use for a coral quarantine, but I want it to also be its own coral tank / grow-out type thing. I added live sand, dry rock, and am going to dose fritz 900. I am using dr tims ammonia for cycling. I plan to add corals as soon as the tank can reduce ammonia from 2.0ppm to 0 in 24 hours. I've heard many different things about coral-only tanks, and putting corals in so soon after cycling, so I thought I'd just make a post.

Thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don't need a "cycled" tank but most do need a stable tank. If you don't currently have any fish (or plan to), you shouldn't have any issues with ammonia at a high enough level to harm coral - it's one of their preferred nutrition sources after all :)

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don't need a "cycled" tank but most do need a stable tank. If you don't currently have any fish (or plan to), you shouldn't have any issues with ammonia at a high enough level to harm coral - it's one of their preferred nutrition sources after all :)
I plan to have a fish or two maybe a year down the line so I thought I'd cycle it now. Sounds good thank you.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back