Cycling tank

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I need help, I have been trying to cycle my tank.
I dosed it with Dr. Tim ammonium chloride and Fritzzyme turbo start 900. It has been 4 weeks.

Ammonia has gone down to 0ppm, nitrite 2.0ppm, and nitrate still 20ppm. Changed the water twice and it brought the nitrate down a lot (to what it is now 20ppm) but the nitrite has stayed the same.

I dose Dr. Tim ammonium chloride every day for the last 3 days but everything still stay the same.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have 39 gallon if it matters.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed it with Dr. Tim ammonium chloride and Fritzzyme turbo start 900. It has been 4 weeks.

Ammonia has gone down to 0ppm, nitrite 2.0ppm, and nitrate still 20ppm. Changed the water twice and it brought the nitrate down a lot (to what it is now 20ppm) but the nitrite has stayed the same.

I dose Dr. Tim ammonium chloride every day for the last 3 days but everything still stay the same.

Stop dosing ammonia. Your tank has been cycled since you added the fritz. Do another water change and get a fish or 2.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your tank is cycled. Time to add a fish or two!

OP
OP
D

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ow, I thought the nitrite has to be 0 and nitrate cannot be more than 5ppm? That’s why I’m scared to add the fish. Can you guys tell me what is the best water parameter for reef tank. I do want to add coral down the line. Thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ow, I thought the nitrite has to be 0 and nitrate cannot be more than 5ppm? That’s why I’m scared to add the fish. Can you guys tell me what is the best water parameter for reef tank. I do want to add coral down the line. Thanks!
While you still just have fish and cuc, nitrate levels are largely irrelevant, as long as they aren't 0. "Best" parameters for a reef tank will depend on what corals you want to keep... For now, just focus on stability as new tanks are inherently unstable until they mature a bit. For example, once you get algae growing, it will consume some of the nutrients (nitrates and phosphates). As you add more fish, etc, you will increase the bioload and be adding more nutrients to the system. Your water change schedule will also affect how quickly nutrients build up. Most tanks eventually find a balance between import and export, but how YOUR tank will behave is not something that anyone can predict.

Read through some of the forums here, paying special attention to the sticky threads at the top of each section - others have already gathered up great info and posted it there.

As you may have already heard, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Take your time, be patient, and enjoy the nuances of your little piece of the ocean :)

Last edited:

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be seeing nitrites because you’re dosing ammonia - although you could also be seeing test error too. Stop dosing :)

Nitrates aren’t toxic in saltwater at any level you’ll get without killing everything in the tank via some other means first, and most folks run their systems a fair bit higher than 5ppm.

Nitrates also are not effectively removed by bacteria in these tanks. The bacteria that’s capable of metabolizing them are very slow to do so and IIRC only do it under anaerobic conditions, that don’t exist in most tanks in useful quantities.

The only way you’ll remove them is via algae and corals that consume them as nutrients, or by water changes. In other words - don’t hold your breath waiting for the bacteria to get working on them.

For the purpose of adding first fish you’re cycled - the ammonia is being processed, the nitrites are being processed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back