Cycling question

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please bear with me as I've always moved rock from tank to tank, etc. so its been about 15+ yrs since I've cycled a sterile tank from scratch. Even then, I don't think I've ever started with completely dry rock. I'm doing a fishless cycle and have dosed my tank with Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride to the prescribe 2ppm. I have then been dosing MicroBacter Start XLM according to the instructions. It's now Day 4 and NH levels have dropped to about 1ppm and trace Nitrites are starting to appear. My question is, should I be dosing more NH+ or just let things percolate until the Ammonia drops to 0?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to add a enough to get a couple ppm ammonia every few days (1-2/week) in the tank if it's going to some time before adding livestock. Soon as you have a CUC or corals or anything really, it'll take care of itself. Also if you're going to add a lot of livestock at once you may want to build it up. Strongly recommend slow build up but folks do what folks do and it'll help fish survive.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back