cycle question

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
26 gallon AIO landen 60P. 20lbs dry rock & live sand. Started cycle with Microbacter7, dosing at recommended ml for 4 days now. Added quickcyle ammonia day 1. API test kit measuring ammonia at 1ppm and nitrites at 0ppm. I decided to add Microbacter start xlm on day 3. . . Did I make a mistake mixing the two bacteria? Also when can I expect to see nitrites?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't matter but maybe add some fish food (such as flakes or pellets) so the cycle isnt phosphate limited. There is a thread here called something like not all bacteria are equal and it shows the timeline for XLM.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrifying bacteria don't care if you add different nitrifying bacteria. Whoever is better suited to the levels and conditions will be more active.
(if you start adding a carbon source, then things can get complicated for the nitrifiers.)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrifying bacteria don't care if you add different nitrifying bacteria. Whoever is better suited to the levels and conditions will be more active.
(if you start adding a carbon source, then things can get complicated for the nitrifiers.)

Funny enough microbacter XLM tells you to not add any live sand or other bacteria with their product.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough microbacter XLM tells you to not add any live sand or other bacteria with their product.
I know! the Brightwell list of things you can't do or else their bacteria may go on strike is so absurdly long (and contains a lot of nonsense).
One day, just for kicks - I'm going to make a sample that breaks as many of the manufacturer rules as possible while still quickly cycling with a hobby bottled bacterial product.

OP
OP
C

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I asked the question! LoL. I think their instructions are more promotional than anything else.

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you will have a problem mixing bacteria. I fed mine with dr.tims ammonia chloride. I would expect to see some nitrides within a week. If you don’t maybe look into Fritz turbo start. I’ve had good luck with that product.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back