my tank isnt cycling still

Leemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello r2r. A week ago I posted a thread because I am cycling my tank and my levels haven’t moved in a week and a half it has been another week and my levels are still the same. I upped my temperature to 86 because I heard that the speed of the process it did nothing so I lowered it back down and still nothing has happened, I’m thinking of buying more nitrifying bacteria and adding it to the tank I used Fritz turbo start 900 salt water.
IMG_1693.jpeg

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my tank I put sand live rock and saltwater in, nothing else. turned on the pump and made sure there was no light for exactly one month, checked my parameters and nitrites and ammonia were at 0 and have since had no issues with my tank, lps and soft corals as well as a blenny and 2 clowns. I think you just need to wait…

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your other thread had responses and suggestions but you never responded.

The presence of nitrite means ammonia is being processed. False positives on API ammonia test is common. Fritzyme has been vetted and works well.

One way to check for sure test current ammonia level and record it as your baseline. Dose some ammonia until you can see a measurable change. Test again in 24 hrs and if it's back to your baseline, you are safe to start stocking slowly.

OP
OP
L

Leemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing with for ammonia? You have nitrates, therefore cycling is complete. Stop dosing, wait for ammonia to drop, 25% WC and add a fish or two
i dosed 2 ppm of ammonium chloride at the start of my cycle and have not dosed more, shouldi dose so more?

OP
OP
L

Leemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my tank I put sand live rock and saltwater in, nothing else. turned on the pump and made sure there was no light for exactly one month, checked my parameters and nitrites and ammonia were at 0 and have since had no issues with my tank, lps and soft corals as well as a blenny and 2 clowns. I think you just need to wait…
ok thanks for the advise.

OP
OP
L

Leemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your other thread had responses and suggestions but you never responded.

The presence of nitrite means ammonia is being processed. False positives on API ammonia test is common. Fritzyme has been vetted and works well.

One way to check for sure test current ammonia level and record it as your baseline. Dose some ammonia until you can see a measurable change. Test again in 24 hrs and if it's back to your baseline, you are safe to start stocking slowly.
ok imma dose 1 ppm or is that too much.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello r2r. A week ago I posted a thread because I am cycling my tank and my levels haven’t moved in a week and a half it has been another week and my levels are still the same. I upped my temperature to 86 because I heard that the speed of the process it did nothing so I lowered it back down and still nothing has happened, I’m thinking of buying more nitrifying bacteria and adding it to the tank I used Fritz turbo start 900 salt water.
IMG_1693.jpeg
you should re-verify your Nitrite test. your test is bellow the line. Your nitrites may be a bit lower but the API test kits have a wide variable.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ignore the nitrite test completely. The API tests will give false readings with nitrate present, additionally nitrite unless in high concentrations does nothing to marine wild life unlike freshwater.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ignore the nitrite test completely. The API tests will give false readings with nitrate present, additionally nitrite unless in high concentrations does nothing to marine wild life unlike freshwater.
I've been told many times nitrite it's toxic to cephalopods specifically?

OP
OP
L

Leemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ignore the nitrite test completely. The API tests will give false readings with nitrate present, additionally nitrite unless in high concentrations does nothing to marine wild life unlike freshwaterok thanks for the advice

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_1693.jpeg
These are kits I do not rely on but to confirm your results, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at. Fior your cycle, did you add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially ?
If so, when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the nitrite do i just do a large water change
You can if you want. Since you dosed to 2 ppm ammonia, nitrite at the absolute most is going to be a little over 5 ppm, which isn't toxic to fish at that level. If you want to wait a little longer or change water, that would be fine too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back