Best Copper med for nano fish?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a biota mandarin to my fluval evo without quarantine as I thought it would not be wise to QT such a fish. I removed all the water in the container the fish was in before addition but sadly my tank got a bad case of ich after 3.5 years no problems.

I’m currently pulling out a blue neon goby and setting up a QT for the little one. What’s a good copper med to buy for such a small fish? Need something small or for better words low quantity as this is the only one showing problems and is smaller than my pinky.

Any suggestions?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, coppersafe or copper power. You’ll need a way to test it though, like a Hanna tester.

Have you thought about hyposalinity?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people have recommended CopperSafe I am definitely going to get it.

I thought Hyposalinity was just to keep the physical effects at bay? Not an actual treatment.

Big question: Is testing copper a necessity? Or can I just follow dosing instructions.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are very careful and accurate with your measurements, it should get you to the right dosage. That said, it’s still good to have a numerical value to know for sure.

Hyposalinity at 1.009 will kill ich given that you maintain it for 30 days after the last spot disappears (similar to copper). It also controls for flukes.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big question: Is testing copper a necessity? Or can I just follow dosing instructions.
You might get away with that if you had an extremely hardy fish. Mandarin's are known to be very sensitive to copper. I would strongly advise a Hanna checker. It will be worth every penny.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are very careful and accurate with your measurements, it should get you to the right dosage. That said, it’s still good to have a numerical value to know for sure.

Hyposalinity at 1.009 will kill ich given that you maintain it for 30 days after the last spot disappears (similar to copper). It also controls for flukes.
Thank you! Wouldn't salinity that low kill the fish??

You might get away with that if you had an extremely hardy fish. Mandarin's are known to be very sensitive to copper. I would strongly advise a Hanna checker. It will be worth every penny.
I will ask my local reef club if anyone has an extra I can borrow. If not I will have to purchase one. Thank you.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Wouldn't salinity that low kill the fish??

I will ask my local reef club if anyone has an extra I can borrow. If not I will have to purchase one. Thank you.
I’m sure there are some that are super sensitive, but any of the common fish we keep will handle it fine.
Jay could better comment on what won’t do well in hypo.
A goby would be fine.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought Hyposalinity was just to keep the physical effects at bay? Not an actual treatment.

You need to pull and treat all this fish and let your tank go fishless for a while. Ive done 60 days in the past, some say shorter or longer amounts of time depending on tank temp.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Properly done, hyposalinity wil completely cure ich and flukes. It does not work on other diseases. The benefit of hypo is that it doesn’t contaminate your sand and rocks like copper will.
Copper is effective against ich and velvet, but nothing else.

Here is my article on hypo:

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Properly done, hyposalinity wil completely cure ich and flukes. It does not work on other diseases. The benefit of hypo is that it doesn’t contaminate your sand and rocks like copper will.
Copper is effective against ich and velvet, but nothing else.

Here is my article on hypo:
Copper is going to absorb into the glass and silicone also and the tank will be useless other than for QT - right?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is going to absorb into the glass and silicone also and the tank will be useless other than for QT - right?
Copper will not absorb into the glass, and I'm 99.9% sure it won't absorb into the silicone either. Tank should be fine for something other than QT after a good scrubbing with a splash of bleach and water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back