80/20 fixture help!!!

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a 80/20 guru!!!

Can anyone help me piece out a part list of what I need to get to create this fixture? Reaching out to these 2 local companies around me isn’t getting me anywhere and I am getting closer to my move.

Looking to create a floating fixture or maybe just a stronger hanging fixture that is bolted onto the stand My issue is
limited space and thinking having it float on one side might not be possible.

Truly any type of help or info is greatly appreciated

Tank is 60x30x24 stand is about 39 tall

Here is the side of the stand and tank

82E6CDA4-9F97-4E31-9961-0B2E58D28FDF.jpeg 74E4F43A-A348-4CCF-AD36-B9EC5CA479AA.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 24 hours and not one reply yet? I'll see what I can do to help but I'll need a little more specifics of what it is you are hoping to build. Let's start with some "bigger picture" type pictures showing the entire area with walls that might be used to mount the lights to. Do you want it to be a completely enclosed canopy? What kind of lights are we talking about here? How much weight? Is there a specific height you want the lights to be above the water/tank? Wall mount, ceiling hung, stand mount, or mounted on tank? What is your stand made out of? (It looks to be 1.5"x3" steel tube.) Lots to consider here. Once the specifics are addressed it should be easy. ;)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built many of these types of canopies. I love T-Slot and TNutz has too much of my money. :)

EDIT: Tomorrow when I have light I will post pics of what I have done on my current tanks and I will put up the floating one that I had done earlier. It would be helpful to know what kind of lights you are going to be using.

EDIT: My build thread has my floating version.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the help @Reefer Reboot

So the tank it actually going to relocate to where it will permanently stay so right now it’s in a whole different area. So truly I wanted to do the floating fixture style

***Use picture from dburst520**

So truthfully I am thinking about 8-10inches above the water but I am limited on space from wall and where the tank will stay. So here is a mock up of what I think I wanna try and see if it can work

Weight wise I am uncertain thinking 3 Neptune sky or just keep T5 hybrid with some other type of led lights

Attachments

• 07ADA557-4A2F-457C-B80B-DA8F6E28BA1B.jpeg
    07ADA557-4A2F-457C-B80B-DA8F6E28BA1B.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 273A0C88-FF21-4F62-B565-8B890CF90D8C.jpeg
    273A0C88-FF21-4F62-B565-8B890CF90D8C.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 56

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, am I safe in assuming that the first picture of post #4 is not yours, but something you would like to duplicate?

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s correct doesn’t have to be hanging to hold the lights but similar to that

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Neptune Sky weighs about 4 pounds each, so times 3 equals 12 pounds total added weight. Not a whole lot. You'll notice in that picture that the light fixture is attached to the wall and not just the stand. This will eliminate the deflection of the vertical piece. Are you okay with that?

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if I am saying this correctly but I am hoping to have it start in two then connect to the center ( like a upside down U that bolts to the stand and Give me one long pipe under 60 inches above the center of tank

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly you completely got me that’s how I am thinking I need to so this

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good! Okay let's talk specifics. My main concern here is, if it is mounted with the vertical pieces resting up against the tank, any little deflection could put some stress on the glass. Two ways to avoid this would be to either attach the top portion to the wall (as per pic #1 in post 4) or space the vertical pieces back off of the stand by just a little bit so that any deflection of the vertical pieces would not contact the tank.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you guess that would be something I would have to do like the picture you created. So the back of the tank with overflow comes out about 4 inches and that’s gonna be pretty close to the wall where it is going to be sitting at if you against the wall I would have to figure out studs and exact placement since I am going to move a tank to place this new one in its place

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, finding studs would complicate the placement of the tank, but since you are already going to be at least 4 inches from the wall to clear the overflow, I would just use some extruded aluminum pieces for standoffs to give a little distance from the tank. Then it could be placed wherever or even moved in the future.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that

The top part of the stand is 2x4 two bills should work

Guess time to piece it all out wise and get finally order

So. Height I’m getting 41 from bottom of top stand
Across 28? And center over take 56 ?

F98D603E-4839-4A84-825C-F7DAD00CE559.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait?! What?! 2x4"? Oh no, I mocked it up as 1.5x3". Now I'll have to start all over.;Sorry;Dead (JK;)) But before you order anything I would nail down what light and how many you are going to use. Then determine what angle the light spread would come off of the lights which will help determine how high off the water to mount them.
Just a quick example, if you were to use 3 Skys at 12 inches above tank level the spread would look like this (according to Neptunes website).
Light spread with 3 Skys.jpg

You will be doubling and even tripling up on the light overlap. That easily adjusted for with light intensity but you could get by with two instead of three (IMO), saving yourself a few bucks.
Plus we haven't even added in the brackets and light mounts yet.
I see you joined in 2019, so I'm sure you've got enough years in to know the following is true, a little extra time planning saves a world of headaches down the line.
So with that in mind, would you like to be able to swing these out of the way if needed for maintenance or are you good with them as is?
(I got to run for now, I'll check back tomorrow.)

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a very valid point and 2 with the spread would be great possibly throw in a simply light to give a shimmer in the center and spread out the light. I am truly going with the sky for sure.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for helping me so much with my dilemma. I have been trying to get to a resolve with this for over 4 months and you help me immensely all in a matter of days. A true fellow reefer thank you
Thanks for the designs as well truly help me visualize what I am doing

Back