90 Day Maricultured Sps Challenge

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so about 2 weeks ago I got in a shipment of Maricultured Acropora and some LPS from Kupang.
I got a lot of tenuis and millepora, and mix of others.

I’ve been trying to decide what to do with the Acros, and I’ve got it. I’m going to do an experiment.
I’m going to take 16 frags that I have cut from the shipment, and keep them in the same spot for the next ~90days, at least, and every Wednesday I’m going to check in and post notes on any deaths, struggles, etc, and of course - weekly pics of coral development and growth.
I have picked 12 of my 16 frags so far, and will finalize by Wednesdays posting.
Also, I will be selling my Frags for $25 each and $50 for Minicolonies soon on a seperate selling thread, and I am selling them cheaply because 1. I know they’re not colored up yet. 2. my hope is that people will also post their weekly updates for this thread too.

I’ve brought in Maricultured sps colonies a bunch of times in the past and watching them color up is so much fun, but it seems like there is a lot of concern about their short term health transitioning to aquarium life, so I’d like to get data on as many frags as possible!
I feel like I’ve always had tremendous survival rates, but I’d like to actually track it.
Any thoughts on what else I’m not thinking of that could be cool to add to the adventure.

EB5ED712-8DA8-4CD9-B2F6-9EAC0BE9586C.jpeg BCEC627E-44B3-4ED3-A935-D577BC1057D8.jpeg

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea! Carefully document all the strains and see who transitions to aquarium life fastest, grows fastest, colours up fastest, etc. Also check and document water parameters, have knowledge of the PAR level frags are set at, note what you’re dosing, feeding, etc.. Looking forward to seeing what happens!

Great idea and I’m interested in seeing how it goes! Mariculture is such a cool field of industry for our hobby, thank you for supporting it!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool idea. Selling the frags and everyone keeping track of them is fairly similar to a competition going on with BCC Bonfire coral where everyone tracks their growth monthly. I unfortunately missed out on it. The biggest difference being is that it is a competition

OP
OP
Z

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, cool - I didn't see that - that is cool!
I was thinking maybe I should order a beaker or something that has graduated mL markings, so I can actually measure the volume of water displaced by the coral each week. This would provide a lot better data on growth rates than something subjective like height grown. Any recommendations on size that would work well for frags, and where to order?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, cool - I didn't see that - that is cool!
I was thinking maybe I should order a beaker or something that has graduated mL markings, so I can actually measure the volume of water displaced by the coral each week. This would provide a lot better data on growth rates than something subjective like height grown. Any recommendations on size that would work well for frags, and where to order?
I never thought about it but you're probably right that displacement is the best way to measure overall growth.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my best pieces were mariculture browned out pieces from the LFS. I’d love to see more detailed millepora pictures. I’ll keep an eye out for the thread

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day we’d do group buys and get softball size colonies for $50-$75. They do well in stable water and strong lighting. If those are off, ya they are goners within 2 weeks max.

frags don’t fare as well…

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be down for a couple of the frags if you still have some in a week or two, I’m just up the road from you in Dundee, Mi so no worries on shipping or anything

OP
OP
Z

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tenuis might be my favorite!
It doesn’t photograph the best, but man, the crazy iridescence you see in person, this will be a stunner with so many colors I think.
This is an actual wysiwyg pc available in the $50 size btw!

Attachments

• 0F048B82-BE70-4688-9D1D-4735E20717B1.jpeg
    0F048B82-BE70-4688-9D1D-4735E20717B1.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 7C359B87-7CB8-42E7-B82E-621FF1F91F4E.jpeg
    7C359B87-7CB8-42E7-B82E-621FF1F91F4E.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 101
  • AAAD91D0-84B4-4A7A-B6A1-D4C6956DA7E6.jpeg
    AAAD91D0-84B4-4A7A-B6A1-D4C6956DA7E6.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 108
  • B01992C0-0D6A-48BA-ABD2-D9ED36FBD93A.jpeg
    B01992C0-0D6A-48BA-ABD2-D9ED36FBD93A.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Z

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten a few people who are interested in ordering but need some time to prepare, and I have come up with some additional things I’d like to get set up for testing during this.
I’ve decided I will start the challenge on Wednesday Oct. 6th officially so we all have time to make this awesome!

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seriously dislike the new classifieds...

im down for an experiment like this though. I may get a message to you eventually lol

OP
OP
Z

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a cool idea. Wish I could participate.
If you’re out of tank space, I can’t help you :)
But if you’re low on reefing dollars, but you could cover shipping costs, let me know, I’ll work out a pack at just about any price. More interested in the research than the sales. I am in the process of turning my hobby into a business on paper, but it will be run as a not for profit business, who’s mission is to fund research for the hobby - the business filing is just to create a tax shelter for my hobby, and to have access to wholesale hard goods, So if anyone has any more cool ideas they want me to explore, let me know!
I know long term goal is a spawning tank for either wellso/trachy or scolys.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re out of tank space, I can’t help you :)
But if you’re low on reefing dollars, but you could cover shipping costs, let me know, I’ll work out a pack at just about any price. More interested in the research than the sales. I am in the process of turning my hobby into a business on paper, but it will be run as a not for profit business, who’s mission is to fund research for the hobby - the business filing is just to create a tax shelter for my hobby, and to have access to wholesale hard goods, So if anyone has any more cool ideas they want me to explore, let me know!
I know long term goal is a spawning tank for either wellso/trachy or scolys.
I really like what you’re doing here. A real community outlook. Kudos.
I can’t participate because I live in Canada, simple as that unfortunately.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back