90 gal tank + 30 gal sump questions and advice

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid doing the under baffles in your sump mate, either just do a single over or do over/under/over if you want to create a bubble trap. Reaoning is most nutrients oils and other nasties we want to remove settle on the surface. That's why we surface skim to the sump instead of of taking the water mid tank.with your under baffles you will allow accumulation on the water surface with little surface agitation you will not be cleaning your water as efficiently and you will also miss out on some water oxygenation

OP
OP
S

SmedenS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid doing the under baffles in your sump mate, either just do a single over or do over/under/over if you want to create a bubble trap. Reaoning is most nutrients oils and other nasties we want to remove settle on the surface. That's why we surface skim to the sump instead of of taking the water mid tank.with your under baffles you will allow accumulation on the water surface with little surface agitation you will not be cleaning your water as efficiently and you will also miss out on some water oxygenation

Thanks a lot Luno.
I have always been a fan of siporax and VOLUME for mechanical filtration to house different bacterial colonies. I dont know how much different SW is to FW, but that is what I am trying to learn.
By arranging over/under baffles I am trying to house the biggest volume of coral rock possible and allow a steady flow through the full zone to create both aerobic and anaerobic conditions for different bacteria types.
If I part my sump in 3 sections only the flow through the mid section will not be as even as if done via baffles and suitable rock sizes to prevent clogging.

I think we can agree that maximum possible surface area for bacterial growth is a winner in any case?
But that maxium surface area can be 2-4 times higher if done by baffles and if we can also ensure a steady flow it "should" outcompete the larger rocks as the center of the rocks will be dead with no flow and bigger rock size?

My latest thoughts in regards of sump: (fuge in same room as Skimmer and I plan to split them somehow)
Sump 04.06.19.png

I havent ordered DT or Sump yet and off course willing to learn from SW experts here on R2R.

Thank you all R2R members, keep sharing and caring..

OP
OP
S

SmedenS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a picture of one my my old FW sumps. This was based on a 250L aquarium and including app. 120L of Siporax:
DSC05681.JPG

I am a big fan of mechanical filtering as it has worked great with my FW tanks and Discus without any water changes after dialed in and constantly 3-4 pair of Discus with either eggs or larvae in my DT.

Some pics. of the 1050L DT: (sorry to spam this salty reef with some FW info and pics)

DSC05693.JPG
DSC05787.JPG
DSC05861.JPG
DSC05866.JPG
DSC06103.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back