90 Gallon Build - So much room for activities!

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks ago I was browsing Facebook marketplace and found this tank complete with stand with matching canopy, sump, a waveline 12000 dc return pump, a reef octopus 200 int skimmer, and 2 mars aqua 165w lights. The price was too good to pass up, only $50 for EVERYTHING! I told myself something had to be wrong for that price, maybe a leaky tank, equipment that didnt work, rotted stand... something. Well I pulled the trigger and bought the tank. As soon as I got it home I began going to work on cleaning it up because it was the definition of filthy. Dried algae, fish poop, and who knows what else covered nearly every square inch of the glass. After 2 days of work with a razor scraper, tooth brush, and even a new toilet bowl brush, I got the tank looking almost new. Afterwards I took the tank back outside and filled her up to the brim to check for leaks in which there were none.

The next step was to bring the tank back inside and begin piecing everything together. I purchased the ADJ powerstrip and mounted it just inside the door opening for easy access. I went this route so I could individually turn off power to the different pieces of equipment. I also purchased 80 lbs of Caribsea south sea base rock so I could start to build the aquascape. All thats left is to buy sand. I will be transferring all of my rocks, fish and corals from my 10 gallon tank as soon as the 90 is up to temp, clear, and has similar parameters.

1.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice clean up job and excellent price. I recommend a big bottle of BRS thick super glue, 2 bottles of glue activator and Marco Morter to build the scape. Maybe get a couple bottles of the thinner glue and the marco powder to cover your tracks. This is 50# and I used about half of what I mentioned.
20231224_150538.jpg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Awesome deal. Cannot wait to see the progress.

OP
OP
Tray21

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clean up job and excellent price. I recommend a big bottle of BRS thick super glue, 2 bottles of glue activator and Marco Morter to build the scape. Maybe get a couple bottles of the thinner glue and the marco powder to cover your tracks. This is 50# and I used about half of what I mentioned.
20231224_150538.jpg
We are thinking on the same wave length because that has already been ordered should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday!

OP
OP
Tray21

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! The rocks have been assembled and placed in the display! Now just waiting on sand to arrive tomorrow or Saturday and then we will be off to the races with mixing saltwater up and filling the tank. In the mean time heres some pictures of the aquascape! My wife wanted a few of the life rocks that we had left over added for “more color” lol
IMG_7901.jpeg
IMG_7903.jpeg
IMG_7904.jpeg
IMG_7905.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg

OP
OP
Tray21

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news and inconvenient news!

The good news is that the sand arrived and is in the tank! Additionally the tank got its first batch of saltwater yesterday.

Now on to the inconvenience...

As I was filling the tank something was looking off. The water line was indicating a pretty bad leveling issue with the right side of the tank being much lower than the left. When I put a bubble level on the rim... the bubble immediately went left. So today I am cutting some spare wood to make some shims and will do my best to get it as level as possible.

Luckily I only got around 25 gallons or so of water in the tank so it wont be too bad. A few 5 gallon buckets and Ill have enough weight out to level properly.

OP
OP
Tray21

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank leveled, filled up and everything has been turned on! Super excited and pretty stoked at how the aquascape turned out! Did have a bit of a “shocking” surprise when i went to adjust the return pump and found myself taking a few volts to the hand. Turns out my brand new never turned on heater is defective and was leaking voltage into the sump. Luckily i had a second heater running as well. A replacement heater will be coming soon. In the mean time i just have to check salinity, temp and ph. If everything matches or is negligibly close then i will be transferring over everything from my nano!
IMG_7913.jpeg

OP
OP
Tray21

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was quite the productive day. Finished making the screen tops for the tank and i got all my livestock transferred over from my 10 gallon tank. Even transferred the rock over too. Going to have the old rock in the display for a few weeks to seed the rocks with the bacteria. As much as i want to start adding more fish and corals immediately, im going to be taking things a little slow for the next few weeks. The nano tank got broken down today too. After it recieves a thorough cleaning, it will become the new QT tank.

Attachments

• IMG_7923.jpeg
    IMG_7923.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back